Temple Entry

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jboom

Temple Entry

Post by jboom »

Temple entry: the system used to ask for the recommend number twice. Now it only requires me to fill it in once. What if I made a typo the first time? Or do we get barcode scanners?

I can also only select a member by typing in a name. Some bishops don't write very clearly or the text on the yellow copy is faded. Being able to select a member by name and record number was better in my opinion. To query on the temple status of a member is also not a functionality in the same menu anymore. That's too bad I think. I now need to go to the membership section, select a member. I can then see if their TR is active. Clicking on the word active then gives me a beautiful digital image of the members TR.

Looking forward to your feedback and suggestions.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Temple Entry

Post by lajackson »

jboom wrote:Temple entry: the system used to ask for the recommend number twice. Now it only requires me to fill it in once. What if I made a typo the first time? Or do we get barcode scanners?
Wow! That is a totally new design for the website. I entered recommends just last evening and the old page was still in place. (Although I never really typed in the recommend number twice, just for the record. Maybe they figured that out.)

First, the recommend number has a check digit in it, so if you make a typo, the program should flag you. The old page did.

Second, the name will be problematic, because some members do not go by their full membership record names. I guess we will have to watch the membership record to see that it matches to make sure we have the proper person.

Although if the bishop fills in the recommend with the name as shown on the membership record (and he should), there will not be any problem any worse than before when I could not read a faded MR number on the yellow copy and had to look up by name.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:Wow! That is a totally new design for the website.
Well, I was hoping to try out the new site today, but the old page is back in place. Oh, well.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:
lajackson wrote:Wow! That is a totally new design for the website.
Well, I was hoping to try out the new site today, but the old page is back in place. Oh, well.
Really? I've never seen the old Leader and Clerk Resources page since the new one started appearing, and I still see only the new one. How are you accessing the page?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:How are you accessing the page?
Direct link bookmark in my browser. I will look it up when I get home this evening, but I just checked at Leader and Clerk Resources and can see that the link has changed.

I have always been able to finish activating a recommend through the direct link faster than I could go through Leader and Clerk Resources and even get to the page to start.

Over the course of the last several months, the entry page started displaying in two different ways. What I call the "alternate" display usually occurred at times when I thought the Church servers might be a little busy, usually on Sunday and on Wednesday evenings. I have no idea if that is really true or not, but those are the days when the alternate page displayed. Since the alternate display page always worked just as well as the regular page, and since I had no control over which version of the page would display, I used it when it appeared.

The alternate page is the one that displayed Sunday evening and resulted in my post. The information on the alternate page display is very similar to the old regular page, but the links are rearranged on the page, and I always had to be careful where I clicked to make sure I was performing the correct function. The (old) following page where the recommend was activated always displayed the same way.

I would recommend that the old link be changed either to redirect or to throw an error. That would force us to start using the new page. Or perhaps the old link was served by a backup server when the primary was busy, and the alternate needs to be shut down.

In either case, I will change my browser link at home this evening to the new URL. It appears that the new page will be faster to use.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:
aebrown wrote:How are you accessing the page?
Direct link bookmark in my browser.
The tes link still works just fine, although I have changed my browser to point to the new links.

Since we have received no new instructions with this change, I have a question. We used to be able to mark a recommend Lost or Stolen. I see no way to do that now. Do we just void the recommend?

And to do that, we need the recommend number, which has been lost or stolen. So I guess we have to wait until the bishop is in his office sometime in the future and is able to look it up from the copy he keeps in the recommend book? Not very timely.

I realize that activating a new (replacement) recommend will cancel the previous recommend, but those interviews do not always happen immediately after a recommend is lost or stolen.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Since we have received no new instructions with this change, I have a question. We used to be able to mark a recommend Lost or Stolen. I see no way to do that now. Do we just void the recommend?
You can still mark a recommend as Lost or Stolen (or Canceled). To do so:
  1. Look up the individual's member information using the search box in the upper right corner.
  2. On the first tab of information (Individual), note that the word "Active" under Temple Recommend is a link. Click it.
  3. On the popup that appears, click "Edit"
  4. In the Recommend Status dropdown, choose "Lost or Stolen" (or "Canceled")
  5. Click "Save"
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:You can still mark a recommend as Lost or Stolen (or Canceled).
Cool. Thank you. I never in a million years would have figured that out. I just knew that Void didn't seem the right way to do it.
Markwhiggs

Post by Markwhiggs »

I am a new clerk and have been asked to change the status of someones temple recommend. It has been lost. I tried the above steps you suggested but when I clicked the active link under temple recommend it did not give an "edit" option. It just showed a pic of the temple recommend itself.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Markwhiggs wrote:I am a new clerk and have been asked to change the status of someones temple recommend. It has been lost. I tried the above steps you suggested but when I clicked the active link under temple recommend it did not give an "edit" option. It just showed a pic of the temple recommend itself.
I believe the option is only available at the stake level. Work with your stake clerk to get the recommend marked as lost.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”