Downloading YouTube videos

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
sorensenbm

Downloading YouTube videos

Post by sorensenbm »

Some of the LDS videos our Sunday School teachers want to use in their classes seem to only be available on YouTube. There isn't always a downloadable version on lds.org. Is there a safe and easy way to download YouTube videos to a PC? Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Downloading YouTube videos

Post by aebrown »

sorensenbm wrote:Some of the LDS videos our Sunday School teachers want to use in their classes seem to only be available on YouTube. There isn't always a downloadable version on lds.org. Is there a safe and easy way to download YouTube videos to a PC? Thanks.
No. And there are two very good reasons:
  • If a video on LDS.org is not available for download, it is most often because the Church is prevented from doing so by some sort of legal restriction (perhaps because of the actors involved, or copyright issues).
  • According to the YouTube terms of service (paragraph 5B): "You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content."
So if there is no legally downloadable version of the video available, your only option is to show the video streamed from LDS.org. Yes, that requires a working Internet connection with sufficient bandwidth (which in some buildings may be problematic), and is counter to the general advice to download videos ahead of time, but it's more important to adhere to the law.
sorensenbm

Post by sorensenbm »

Thanks. Here's an example of one of the questions I got. A teacher wanted to use this Mormon Message video in their class. It's an excellent video, but only seems to be available on YouTube. Streaming is not an option since as I understand it, YouTube is blocked in the buildings. I wasn't able to find a downloadable version anywhere (unless I just missed it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXE2BINJOo8
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

"ALL RIGHTS BELONG TO LDS CHURCH/MORMON.ORG I DO NOT OWN THIS"
It appears to be an unauthorized copy. You probably need to find the original if it's still available.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sorensenbm wrote:Thanks. Here's an example of one of the questions I got. A teacher wanted to use this Mormon Message video in their class. It's an excellent video, but only seems to be available on YouTube. Streaming is not an option since as I understand it, YouTube is blocked in the buildings. I wasn't able to find a downloadable version anywhere (unless I just missed it).
This video is not available on LDS.org, on mormonchannel.org, or even the YouTube Mormon Channel. To me, that's a pretty clear indication that the Church chose to withdraw this video from public view. Thus I would assume that the Church doesn't want us to use it.

Sure, it was once available, and someone snatched a copy and posted it to YouTube in their own area with no authorization, and so it's available through that back-door method. Does that mean we should be using that video? I don't think so.

And yes, you're right that YouTube is blocked in meetinghouses. The Church has made great strides in making every video that they want us to use available on LDS.org or one of the other official sites such as mormonchannel.org. If a video is only available on YouTube, that's probably because it's not an official Church video at this point, and you won't be able to view it on the meetinghouse network.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I can see why some folks would be uncomfortable with the specifics of the story told in this video. It's one thing to say that the Redeemer can make us all find hope but, on the other hand, it's quite jarring to hear that this is a story about adultery. Some would question the wife's decision to "put on a good showing" for relatives before the divorce. Some might say that, despite the infidelity, a couple should try to work things out and save the marriage, etc.. It just makes the viewer think about a lot of other issues that detract from the overall message, so I can see why the church might have decided to withdraw it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I was thinking about the husband who sprung this on his wife two days before Christmas. He could have waited until after New Years. But no, he has to dump his burden and make it his wife's problem.

Yeah, it does invite discussion other than what was hoped for.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”