Firewall question at the end of the ward audit procedure

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
mfurstenau

Firewall question at the end of the ward audit procedure

Post by mfurstenau »

At the end of the last ward audit, the only thing "wrong" the online auditing system showed was a firewall that is not installed on the computer. However, we do have firewall software on the computer in the clerk's office. Is it looking for a specific software? If so, what is it and how do we get it?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Firewall question at the end of the ward audit procedure

Post by aebrown »

That check is not looking for installed firewall software (although you should typically have Sophos firewall software installed). Instead, it is checking to make sure that Internet traffic from that computer is passing through the Cisco Firewall (typically an 881w these days, but older models are possible).

For suggestions as to what to do when that check fails, see:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's been a recent change in the filtering system. If the computer has the DNS manually configured, it can cause the filter check to fail. But that also means that come the next update to the router, the computer will not be able to access the Internet at all.

You can read more about this at here

Another possible cause is someone bypassed the church-supplied router.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Usually only happens on Sundays.
Roland
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rolandc wrote:Usually only happens on Sundays.
I believe that was true of the old firewall filter. I haven't heard any reports like that on the new one.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

russellhltn wrote:
rolandc wrote:Usually only happens on Sundays.
I believe that was true of the old firewall filter. I haven't heard any reports like that on the new one.

I have, two reports from last Sunday.
Roland
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rolandc wrote:I have, two reports from last Sunday.
We need to establish that it's due to overload of the new filter and not something else. If the machines have static IPs (and therefore static DNS entered) and the 881 wasn't been updated to cut off all other DNS, you will have a audit failure - but it's unrelated to Sunday.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”