Online Calendar Email Notification

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
sadavis1976

Online Calendar Email Notification

Post by sadavis1976 »

Hello,
I'm currently the Stake PFR and one of my responsibilities involves the pavilion in my stake.
I have created a calendar item for the pavilion so persons with MLS rights or administers in the stake have the ability to reserve and calendar events at the pavilion.
When someone other then myself makes a reservation for an event, should I receive an email notifying me that "Bro. Jones has reserved the pavilion on such and such at day?"
If not, can something be done to notify the calendar administrators that someone has made an calendar event?
Thanks,
Shawn
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Online Calendar Email Notification

Post by aebrown »

sadavis1976 wrote:I have created a calendar item for the pavilion so persons with MLS rights or administers in the stake have the ability to reserve and calendar events at the pavilion.
First of all, there is absolutely no connection between MLS rights and the ability to create calendar events. Calendar events can be created by calendar administrators, or by calendar editors who have been assigned editor rights to that calendar by name or by calling.
sadavis1976 wrote:When someone other then myself makes a reservation for an event, should I receive an email notifying me that "Bro. Jones has reserved the pavilion on such and such at day?"
No, there is no such feature in the calendar. The only way you will be notified of an event is if you are subscribed to the calendar (which you probably are, but so are many other people), and your notification options are set to receive notifications (which is likely since it is the default), and the person creating the event chooses to send an email about the event to all subscribers to the calendar (generally unlikely, since the default is not to send a notification).
sadavis1976 wrote:If not, can something be done to notify the calendar administrators that someone has made an calendar event?
You could request that feature, but there is no current capability like that.
sadavis1976

Post by sadavis1976 »

Thank-you. That answers my question. ;)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sadavis1976 wrote:I have created a calendar item for the pavilion
When you say a "calendar item", do you mean a location or a calendar?

If you've created a calender, (I assume it would be a stake calendar), then ward leaders will have to be added as editors by name. Only stake callings can be added by callings. Also, it's possible to create conflicting events.

If you've created a location, then it could be scheduled by a calendar you do not have rights to see. In that case, you'll have to switch to week view and select the location to see it. If it's considered a "room" of a location, then you'd have to check all the events to see which ones use the pavilion.

But on the upside, as a location or room in a location, it won't be possible to create a conflict as the system blocks using the same place for two events at the same time. Since the event is on the unit's calendar, it will be visible to the unit members.

Also, you may want to avoid the term "reservation". That used to be what is now called a "restriction" and that does not work for scheduling events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sadavis1976

Post by sadavis1976 »

Hi Russ,
I'm sorry if I've caused confusion with some of the terms. :)

The pavilion in my stake was never set-up for the online calendar. I did create a calendar at the stake level and I gave all units in the stake the ability to see the pavilion on the calendar. Under restrictions, I also gave all units the ability to create an event on the calendar with the pavilion. Under Calendar Settings only three people have rights to view / edit. I never added anyone else.

Through experimenting with different people in the stake, I found that people with leadership positions through MLS could make an event. The Ward Clerk, E.Q. President, Y.W. President, etc... could create and event, but a Primary worker or Sunday School teacher could not. Even the Building Scheduler had to be in MLS before he could create an event at the pavilion.

Back to the pavilion, it is set up as entire facility, so there are no rooms. If person A creates an event the calendar it will not let person B create a second event over the first event. Which is a good thing. Like you mentioned, the conflict note appears.

Hopefully this helps in figuring out what I first wrote. I was just trying to see if there was a way that an email could be sent to the view / edit persons to inform us that Bro C created an event, so we are prepared for him knocking on our door 5 minutes before his scheduled event starts. haha Because there is always an outlier that doesn't call ahead. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Thanks for your help.
Shawn
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It sounds like you created a location (not a calendar). Anyone with editing rights to any calendar in any unit of the stake can then make an event at that location.

In that case, you'll need to use week view and view that location to see what's been scheduled.
Even the Building Scheduler had to be in MLS before he could create an event at the pavilion.
I think that means the Building Scheduler had to have their calling added before they got rights. Right to MLS itself does not leave MLS, so it has no effect on anything on-line.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”