Restriction Not Working...

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
Cesium

Restriction Not Working...

Post by Cesium »

So it started a month ago….. When our building schedulers enter in restrictions, they are not being restricted. Anyone can schedule over them. How can we solve it?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Restriction Not Working...

Post by russellhltn »

Cesium wrote:So it started a month ago….. When our building schedulers enter in restrictions, they are not being restricted. Anyone can schedule over them. How can we solve it?
Can you give an example? What unit is the restriction set to? Is the event for that unit or another unit? Are there multiple restrictions in place? (There is no warning for multiple restrictions.) Are you sure the event was added after the restriction? (There no protection/warning if you place a restriction on top of an existing event). Is the restriction for "Entire facility" or specific rooms? Is the event "Entire facility" or specific rooms? Any possibility of duplicate locations such that the restriction is on "copy A" but the event is on "copy B"?

There are a number of "if and and but"s that limit the effectiveness of restrictions, but first I want to make sure that this is a real problem or a misunderstanding of how it works.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

I recommend reading my help guide its sticked at the top of this forum

"There has been some confusion in the past about what a Reservation is and what is a Restriction.

Reservations are made on calendar events. Anyone who is a editor for a calendar, when they make a event can reserve rooms/buildings their ward has access too.

Restrictions are done by the Building schedulers. They are blocks of time were you can make a building schedulable by certain wards. So for example
Ward 1 can use the building on Thursdays.
Ward 2 can use the building on Tuesdays.
This would be done using Restrictions. When that is in place calendar editors in ward 1 if they try to reserve the building on Tuesday will get a message saying they cannot became of Restriction ####. "

If understanding this you still see a problem give us more details. :)
Cesium

Post by Cesium »

I believe part of the problem was solved when the scheduler realized she could override her own restrictions. For example, she set up a restriction for ward 1. Later, in a different calendar, she scheduled an event for ward 2 at the same time/place as ward 1, but the "restriction" window did not pop up. I believe this is because the scheduler entered in the activity and the permissions allow the scheduler this right. Is this correct? If so, I simply teach the schedulers to use the restrictions calendar.

For this particular question, however, a bishop from ward 2 entered in the activity, and "restricted to ward 1" should have popped up, but did not. Do bishops or other stake personnel have the same permissions as the schedulers?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Cesium wrote:I believe part of the problem was solved when the scheduler realized she could override her own restrictions. For example, she set up a restriction for ward 1. Later, in a different calendar, she scheduled an event for ward 2 at the same time/place as ward 1, but the "restriction" window did not pop up. I believe this is because the scheduler entered in the activity and the permissions allow the scheduler this right. Is this correct?
Correct. The role of building scheduler includes the power to create an event that overrides a restriction. That power is needed for certain use cases, but it creates the possibility of inadvertent misuse, since (as you noted) there is no warning when a building scheduler overrides a restriction with an event.
Cesium wrote:For this particular question, however, a bishop from ward 2 entered in the activity, and "restricted to ward 1" should have popped up, but did not. Do bishops or other stake personnel have the same permissions as the schedulers?
That doesn't sound like the correct behavior. Bishops do NOT have the same permissions as building schedulers. Even stake administrators, who otherwise are pretty powerful in the Calendar system, cannot override a restriction with an event. Only a building scheduler should be able to do that.

So I would check to make sure that the both the event and restriction are dealing with the same room in the same location for the same date and time, and that the restriction is indeed set up to be in favor of Ward 1. In my experience, when people think that a restriction wasn't working, it is often the case that one of those variables isn't actually the same, so there is no real conflict. If you have verified all those details, then the behavior you describe would be a bug.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Cesium wrote:I believe part of the problem was solved when the scheduler realized she could override her own restrictions. For example, she set up a restriction for ward 1. Later, in a different calendar, she scheduled an event for ward 2 at the same time/place as ward 1, but the "restriction" window did not pop up. I believe this is because the scheduler entered in the activity and the permissions allow the scheduler this right. Is this correct?
Correct.
Cesium wrote:If so, I simply teach the schedulers to use the restrictions calendar.
BAD idea! "Restrictions" were NEVER meant to deal with events. Attempting to use them to schedule events will (and has) burn you. There are far too many exceptions to make it work.

The bottom line is each unit needs to do their own scheduling. The old days of one person scheduling multiple units is gone the way of paper calendars. The system simply does not support that.

Cesium wrote:For this particular question, however, a bishop from ward 2 entered in the activity, and "restricted to ward 1" should have popped up, but did not. Do bishops or other stake personnel have the same permissions as the schedulers?
First, make sure of the order. If the scheduler put the restriction overt top of the event, there would be no warning. Only the people listed as Building Schedulers in the calendar should be able to override a restriction. Was the bishop made a Building Scheduler?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Cesium

Post by Cesium »

to russellhtln,
I meant to say that the schedulers need to look at the restriction calendar before they schedule something. :-) (on a ward calendar). To be more specific, the room in question is a baptism room, which several wards may need at the same time. The scheduler restricted it to one ward, but another ward was able to schedule over it. I'll look into how they set it up more closely.

To all… thank you for your help. I will check to see if the bishop was made a scheduler
hiltpatr

Post by hiltpatr »

As a ward clerk I tried to put in stake conference on to our calendar And got a restricted time block error. Is there any way to get around this and post special events like that over a restricted block time where it is restricted due to regular church meetings that won't be happening that day?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hiltpatr wrote:As a ward clerk I tried to put in stake conference on to our calendar And got a restricted time block error. Is there any way to get around this and post special events like that over a restricted block time where it is restricted due to regular church meetings that won't be happening that day?
If it is a restriction, there's one of two ways, both involving the Building Scheduler:
  • Have the building scheduler schedule the event. They will have to have edit rights to the appropriate calendar. Restrictions do not apply to Building Schedulers.
  • Have the building scheduler edit the restriction on that date.
However, if the problem is due to events that are scheduled, you'll need to get those events canceled for that date.

However, since this is a stake event, I'm not sure why a ward would be scheduling this - I'd think the stake would be putting it in their calendar. Unless it's for remote viewing of stake conference.

jhowell2000

Post by jhowell2000 »

I just tried creating an event over a restriction to see if the restriction was working. The first attempt was unsuccessful (good), but when I tried again the system allowed me to create an event for Ward A when the building was restricted for Ward B. Is this a problem that has returned? I am a building scheduler for the building in question and also a ward and stake web administrator. Mac running 10.9.5, firefox 33.1

Return to “Calendar”