Access to household information on LDS Maps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
RobertsSE

Access to household information on LDS Maps

Post by RobertsSE »

I am a missionary with the Inner City Project, as such I have two home wards, however whenever I try to access household information from my assigned ward it refreshes back to my home ward. It would be great if I could make my assigned ward the default or at least have the same functionality with my assigned ward. I am able to print a ward list but frequently I would like to locate a member in our assigned ward on the map but it is just refreshes to my home ward.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Access to household information on LDS Maps

Post by sbradshaw »

You may be able to bookmark a link to the maps page with the ward you need access to the most up. In the URL on the map web site when you switch wards there is a parameter that says (for example) "&ward=79359" with the number being the unit number of the ward you're viewing.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I think so far that the directory is the only tool that is configured for assigned missionaries to access information outside of their home wards. I assume other tools may be improved in the future; however, I've also seen that missionaries are getting iPads with custom missionary apps installed, so it's possible that the missionary department will give access via a missionary app instead of the maps on lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Maps has some issues that may render it nearly useless. The problem is the pin won't move if the member moves within the ward. So unless a clerk is staying on top of any changes, the map is inaccurate and misleading as it will only show where members lived when they first moved into the ward, not where they currently live.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Maps has some issues that may render it nearly useless. The problem is the pin won't move if the member moves within the ward. So unless a clerk is staying on top of any changes, the map is inaccurate and misleading...
For some wards that may be true, but it's not that hard to stay on top of the changes, and then it is useful. That's true of all sorts of information -- we do rely on clerks to keep records accurate. I'll grant that the map locations often less accurate than other membership information, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss the maps as a useless tool. Also, if member find the maps tool to be useful, but it isn't accurate, they can encourage their ward clerk to make the needed updates.
russellhltn wrote:... as it will only show where members lived when they first moved into the ward, not where they currently live.
Actually, where they lived when they first moved into the ward is irrelevant. The marker remains where it was most recently verified by a clerk, even if it was in their previous ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Actually, where they lived when they first moved into the ward is irrelevant. The marker remains where it was most recently verified by a clerk, even if it was in their previous ward.
Ouch. Bottom line, the accuracy of the map is questionable and completely dependent on the level of effort the ward clerks give to keeping it up to date. Which, I think is safe to say, will range all over the map. :rolleyes:
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
majormeach

Post by majormeach »

How hard would it be to have a feature to where a ward map could be generated using the maps website? It would have to be very detailed information just last names only.
leejj

Post by leejj »

It's great bishoprics and clerks have access to verify locations, but they are not always computer savvy enough to get the job done. Could the website administrators called and entered into MLS be added this permission? I've fixed the locations for my ward but must run a separate map because the lack of permissions.

Josh
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

leejj wrote:Could the website administrators called and entered into MLS be added this permission?
Membership edit rights are limited by Church policy to the Bishop and clerks with membership responsibilities (ward clerk, assistant ward clerk, and assistant ward clerk - membership). The address for a member determines the unit a member should be in. Restricting who can make changes to such vital membership record data must be limited to those called to maintain membership records.
leejj wrote:I've fixed the locations for my ward but must run a separate map because the lack of permissions.
You could pass those fixes on to the membership clerk to update the Maps program. Other than training the membership clerk or helping him make the Maps edits, I find there is no other way around the issue.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Other than training the membership clerk or helping him make the Maps edits, I find there is no other way around the issue.
The ward, in consultation with the stake, could call an additional assistant clerk.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”