Temple Visualization Project - Need help - Excel/CSV

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
colinhozh

Temple Visualization Project - Need help - Excel/CSV

Post by colinhozh »

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I am starting a project that aims to visualize all our Temples and their respective details, in an interactive manner. This will include maps, charts, etc. I will be publishing it to a public source and hope to be able to serve members in exploring Temples around the world, and also bust myths about our Temples, others may have.

To get this done, I need data.
I've been manually populating an Excel file with information from ldschurchtemples.com but as you would imagine, it is tedious and inefficient. Looking at data fields like:

-TEMPLE NAME
-DEDICATION DATE
-DEDICATED BY
-CONSTRUCTION DURATION
-TEMPLE SQFT
-SITE AREA
-ADDRESS
-STATE
-ZIP
-COUNTRY
-LINK (on ldschurchtemples.com)

Does anyone know where I can get a soft copy of all the data about the temples or would you know where I can find/ask for that information?

All your help, insight, and suggestions are greatly valued.

Thank you all in advance!

-Colin
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Temple Visualization Project - Need help - Excel/CSV

Post by russellhltn »

Much of that can be found at temples.lds.org. You'd still have to hunt up the Dedicated By and SQFT from somewhere else. I'd suggest searching the Church News around the different dedication dates.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
colinhozh

Post by colinhozh »

Thanks Russell,

https://www.lds.org/church/temples seems to provide a little less information as compared to ldschurchtemples.com.

I have managed to find SQFT and Site area from ldschurchtemples, but ultimately wanted to ask the community if they are aware of any way to acquire such data in an Excel/CSV/db form, that can be shared, without going the manual route.

My concern is also for the long term. I wish to continue this project for a long time. But first, I have to get started.

>>>If you are reading this and are unsure about data sources and where to find them, it would mean a lot if you could drop a note here and suggest some facts you may want to know about our Temples, and perhaps from experience, what your non-member friends ask about the Temples, so I can add that as another field for my project.

Appreciate all the help and suggestions I can get!

Thanks all!
-Colin
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Whether or not a temple has a cafeteria, clothing rental, etc. would be useful.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”