Problem with projector during conference

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
dnslynn

Problem with projector during conference

Post by dnslynn »

I had a problem come up when projecting the recent conference sessions from satellite. During the conference sessions, particularly on Sunday, I would get a rippled water-like effect over a bar about 1/5th the height of the screen rolling vertically through the image. This might be described as a combination of tearing and a hum-bar. Members found it very distracting during the morning session. (I swapped in a lower resolution projector which did not have this problem during the Sunday afternoon session.) What is confusing is that during the material between sessions, this problem was much less apparent, but the moment the live conference session switched in, it became very apparent again.

Did anyone else notice this? Does anyone have an idea what may causing the problem. This is the first time I have noticed it. The projector we use primarily is a SONY XGA VPL-EX7. Our satellite receiver was recently upgraded to the version with the single line LCD display and 4-way menu buttons with enter.

I thought I would check here first before going the the FM group to ask for a replacement projector.

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Problem with projector during conference

Post by russellhltn »

Depending on the speed it went though the picture, it might well be a hum bar.

How was the projector connected? Did you check the power plug to see if it could have been plugged in backwards? (Most 2 prong plugs are polarized so the only go in one way. I assume there's a reason for that.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dnslynn

Post by dnslynn »

It was a three prong plug. I had a 2 prong to three prong isolator and I tried that but it made no difference. Also, I have not noticed this problem before this weekend.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dnslynn wrote:Also, I have not noticed this problem before this weekend.
Other broadcasts? Or different setups?

It might be worth a talk to some of the higher satellite people to see if they have any ideas.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

We've had this problem for years at our stake center. The STS hasn't been able to isolate it, but it's definitely a ground loop of some sort.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Where was the projector getting the video signal from? Composite feed from an RCA wall-jack? VCR? Other?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Mikerowaved wrote:Where was the projector getting the video signal from? Composite feed from an RCA wall-jack? VCR? Other?
I'm pretty sure we're just using the RCA composite jack on the stand.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mfmohlma wrote:We've had this problem for years at our stake center. The STS hasn't been able to isolate it, but it's definitely a ground loop of some sort.
If it's consistent, then it might be in the equipment rack. I've had the filter caps on the modulator go out. When it goes, you'll get a hum bar in the video.

mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

russellhltn wrote:If it's consistent, then it might be in the equipment rack. I've had the filter caps on the modulator go out. When it goes, you'll get a hum bar in the video.
It's possible. We have stake conference (with accompanying broadcast) this weekend and I know they use the modulator to send signal throughout the building.

If it was the modulator, do you think someone in the FM group could definitively diagnose it and order repair or would they just have to call a contractor off the bat? The reason I ask is if it is the latter, FM will likely push back.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mfmohlma wrote:If it was the modulator, do you think someone in the FM group could definitively diagnose it and order repair or would they just have to call a contractor off the bat? The reason I ask is if it is the latter, FM will likely push back.
I think typically FM gets support from CHQ in diagnosing things.

Note that if it is the modulator, you'll likely have a loud hum in the audio as well. (You may not have noticed it if you're not using the TV for sound.) The ones that I've had fail have gotten to the point that you can't hear anything else but the hum in the audio.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, it's an easy fix to change out the cap. Although it's not the easiest board to pull and replace. The power supply is in it's own area with it's own PC board.

Return to “Satellite”