Win 7 upgrades

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Win 7 upgrades

Post by craiggsmith »

So I'm upgrading my eligible machines to Win 7 using the image provided by the GSC. I noticed that it uses a generic license key and doesn't prompt me for the one on the machine. I guess that's OK?

One of the clerks upgraded his ward's machine himself, using his own media but the license listed on the machine. Is that OK or should I redo it with the church's image?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Win 7 upgrades

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:So I'm upgrading my eligible machines to Win 7 using the image provided by the GSC. I noticed that it uses a generic license key and doesn't prompt me for the one on the machine. I guess that's OK?
In the case of Dells (and maybe other 1st tier OEM machines), I think there's something in the BIOS that tells the OEM install disk it's OK. If you were to try it on another brand of machine, I think you'd find it wouldn't work.

craiggsmith wrote:One of the clerks upgraded his ward's machine himself, using his own media but the license listed on the machine. Is that OK or should I redo it with the church's image?
Legally (law-of-the-land legal & church policy legal), that should be OK. I'm not sure what has been changed/added to the church image to make it preferable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

russellhltn wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:So I'm upgrading my eligible machines to Win 7 using the image provided by the GSC. I noticed that it uses a generic license key and doesn't prompt me for the one on the machine. I guess that's OK?
In the case of Dells (and maybe other 1st tier OEM machines), I think there's something in the BIOS that tells the OEM install disk it's OK. If you were to try it on another brand of machine, I think you'd find it wouldn't work.
Thanks. This is a Dell and the license had "OEM" in the number so that makes sense.
russellhltn wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:One of the clerks upgraded his ward's machine himself, using his own media but the license listed on the machine. Is that OK or should I redo it with the church's image?
Legally (law-of-the-land legal & church policy legal), that should be OK. I'm not sure what has been changed/added to the church image to make it preferable.
Looks like TEM is part of it, and it appears the home page for IE has been set to LDS.org, and maybe some other settings are defaulted, but otherwise I haven't noticed anything too special. I've already installed TEM and gone through the settings as I always do anyway.
peterson.josh

Post by peterson.josh »

How do I get a copy of this image? I've got a machine one of the ward clerks tried to set up himself and got things all sorts of messed up. I think it'll be easier to re-image than to try and undo his mistakes.
Josh Peterson
Stake Technology Clerk - Hunter Central Stake
babipm
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by babipm »

You can contact the GSC and they can help you with this matter. For more information, please visit the following page: https://www.lds.org/callings/melchizede ... r?lang=eng
jromney

Post by jromney »

I'm getting ready to do this same thing. Did you wipe the drive first or did you just run it as an upgrade of the existing XP installation? Trying to decide which option I want to do. If I wipe the drive and do a fresh install will I need to get GSC to reset the MLS security to or will it still work since it is the same machine?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Installing an image typically wipes the drive. When I recently installed the Windows 7 Pro FHC image on FHC computers, I actually removed the old hard drive, replaced it with a larger drive (I have a few on hand), and installed the image. After installation, I attached the old hard drive using a USB adapter, and copied the files I wanted to the new drive.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

jromney wrote:I'm getting ready to do this same thing. Did you wipe the drive first or did you just run it as an upgrade of the existing XP installation? Trying to decide which option I want to do. If I wipe the drive and do a fresh install will I need to get GSC to reset the MLS security to or will it still work since it is the same machine?
As this would be a fresh installation, you will need to contact GSC to reset the security token. In brief terms, it is the MLS installation that has the security token attached to it.
jromney

Post by jromney »

Great. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot!
ajeffries1977

Post by ajeffries1977 »

im the tech of the peru,indiana i need the windows 7 enterprise product key for dell and hp computers

Return to “Clerk Computers”