Live Broadcast

techgy
Community Moderators

Live Broadcast

Post by techgy »

Is it possible to watch a live church broadcast, such as general conf, on an Android tablet?
I've tried and get an "operation prohibited" message.
RossEvans

Re: Live Broadcast

Post by RossEvans »

techgy wrote:Is it possible to watch a live church broadcast, such as general conf, on an Android tablet?
I've tried and get an "operation prohibited" message.
Hard to unpack that question that without knowing more: What app were you trying to use? Was it a browser, or a dedicated app? What church distribution channel streaming the conference were you accessing? What brand and model is your tablet, and what Android OS version does it run? (I don't pretend to know the answer even with all this information, but someone else might know more.)

FWIW, I think I did stream the live conference session earlier today briefly on an Android phone (Galaxy S3) accessing the LDS general conference YouTube channel using the Android YouTube app. But I was not able to use this method to initiate a live streaming session on my Google Chromecast device. I was successful using a Windows laptop running the Chromecast application to start up the Chromecast stream, and the quality was great. (However, this is a more complex scenario than I think you are describing, because in my case the Chromecast device was actually handling the YouTube streaming, not the controller app on the Android or laptop.)
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I get streaming on byutv app and Mormon channel app
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

johnshaw wrote:I get streaming on byutv app and Mormon channel app
The BYUtv App requires you to create an account including your D.O.B., which I don't do. The Mormon channel app seems to work but only for audio (listening only). I didn't see any way to view live video.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The official Church YouTube channel has a live stream. Use the YouTube app on your Android device to watch it.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

aebrown wrote:The official Church YouTube channel has a live stream. Use the YouTube app on your Android device to watch it.
That works well as long as not on an lds network. I was trying to view conf from a location in a church building. However, youtube is blocked inside the buildings.

I did find that BYUTV.ORG works well, and it doesn't matter what network you're on.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

techgy wrote:
johnshaw wrote:I get streaming on byutv app and Mormon channel app
The BYUtv App requires you to create an account including your D.O.B., which I don't do. The Mormon channel app seems to work but only for audio (listening only). I didn't see any way to view live video.
In our family we have two birthdays, one is our actual birthday and the other is our Internet Birthday. :)
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:In our family we have two birthdays, one is our actual birthday and the other is our Internet Birthday. :)
So do I. My Internet Birthday was exactly one week ago. :D :D :D
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Mobile Applications”