Update on new PC's from CHQ

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Update on new PC's from CHQ

Post by Mikerowaved »

I know some people like to keep up on what the latest PC's are from CHQ, so here's the lowdown on one I just got yesterday as a replacement for a failed PC in our stake. [Edit: According to THIS thread, I see these have been shipping for at least the past 6-months.]

Make/Model: Dell Optiplex 7010 (Small Form Factor)
CPU: Intel i3-3220 (3.3GHz 2 physical/4 logical cores)
RAM: 4GB total, 2x2GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800), with 2 of 4 slots populated
PCIe: 2ea x16, both vacant (1/2 height)
Hard drive: 500GB (WD Blue, SATA 3.0)
Optical: Standard DVD R/W
USB: Front - 2xUSB 2.0, 2xUSB 3.0; Rear - 4xUSB 2.0, 2xUSB 3.0
Graphics: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 2500; Connectors: 1xVGA, 2xDisplayPort (DisplayPort to DVI cable included in the box)
Audio: 2-channel with connectors front & rear
LAN: GigE
PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse connectors
And yes friends, a REAL 9-pin RS232 Serial Port on the back panel :D

The thing that caught my eye was...

In other threads, there had been some debating going on if it was OK to use the 64-bit version of Windows 7 on admin PC's and at the time we had no answer, other than (to the effect), "That's the way CHQ orders them, so it must be the way they want them." Apparently that's changed because it looks like 64-bit is now (finally) the new norm.

EDIT: Here are the "Windows Experience Index" numbers for us geeks into that sorta stuff...
Processor: 7.2
Memory: 5.9
Graphics, Aero: 5.0
Graphics, Gaming: 6.3
Hard disk: 5.9
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Re: Update on new PC's from CHQ

Post by gregwanderson »

Our ward computer which was put into service in February 2014:

Make/Model: HP Compaq Pro 6305
CPU: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500B with Radeon HD 7560D Graphics (3.2 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache)
RAM: 8GB total
Hard drive: 500GB
Optical: DVD R/W Dual Layer
USB: 4xUSB 3.0, 6xUSB 2.0

Here are the "Windows Experience Index" numbers for us geeks into that sorta stuff...
Memory: 7.2
Graphics, Aero: 6.7
Graphics, Gaming: 6.7
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

mrrad wrote:Our ward computer which was put into service in February 2014:

Make/Model: HP Compaq Pro 6305
CPU: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500B with Radeon HD 7560D Graphics (3.2 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache)
RAM: 8GB total
Hard drive: 500GB
Optical: DVD R/W Dual Layer
USB: 4xUSB 3.0, 6xUSB 2.0

Here are the "Windows Experience Index" numbers for us geeks into that sorta stuff...
Memory: 7.2
Graphics, Aero: 6.7
Graphics, Gaming: 6.7
I just set up a new computer for our ward this week. It matched these specs exactly.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

This last week I set up 8 new computers in our stake, and they matched the specs reported by Mikerowaved.

So it looks like there are (at least) two different "standard" computers being shipped these days.

I had a couple of challenges finding printer drivers for older printers, and one of our printers was so old that it had only a parallel interface (the new computers have no parallel port), but other than that the upgrades went pretty smoothly.
emmett

Post by emmett »

Yea so far Printers are the evil item, one branch will go a week before they have one. I am calling the clerk and see if he has one at home or the President does to borrow till then.
JeffTurgeon

Post by JeffTurgeon »

I'm assuming that the church is having them come without bloatware.

Do you see and Office Software coming pre-installed on the machines?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JeffTurgeon wrote:I'm assuming that the church is having them come without bloatware.
There was no bloatware on the Dell 7010's we recently received.
JeffTurgeon wrote:Do you see and Office Software coming pre-installed on the machines?
There is no office software pre-installed. The instructions say you can install LibreOffice if you'd like.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I don't think they've ever included Microsoft Office in the past (other than trial versions, maybe) but I've certainly seen Open Office and now Libre Office as either pre-installed or added immediately by the person who set up the computer for the ward. I happen to like Libre Office, especially the part about not needing activation keys that look like someone just dropped a sandbag on the keyboard and also the part about how I can install it on a Mac too.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Do you normally get a wireless adapter with a new computer. Seems to me that if the FM group supplies them they should be functional without the Sts having to spend additional $$?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
erikwhughes
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by erikwhughes »

No wireless adapters are included with the current model of meetinghouse computers, with the exception of the Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Tiny. Clerk's offices are wired for internet connectivity.

Return to “Clerk Computers”