Quotes on the church and technology

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Quotes on the church and technology

Post by sbradshaw »

It really inspires me to see how the church embraces technology and uses it for good. I'd like to start a thread here where people can post inspiring quotes from General Authorities about how and why the church is using technology to further the Lord's work.

Here are a few of my favorites to start:

Brigham Young
“Every discovery in science and art, that is really true and useful to mankind, has been given by direct revelation from God. ... We should take advantage of all these great discoveries ... and give to our children the benefit of every branch of useful knowledge, to prepare them to step forward and efficiently do their part in the great work.” Deseret News, 22 Oct. 1862, 129

Joseph Fielding Smith
“I maintain that had there been no restoration of the gospel, and no organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, there would have been no radio; there would have been no airplane, and there would not have been the wonderful discoveries in medicine, chemistry, electricity, and the many other things wherein the world has been benefited by such discoveries. Under such conditions these blessings would have been withheld, for they belong to the Dispensation of the Fulness of Times of which the restoration of the gospel and the organization of the Church constitute the central point, from which radiates the Spirit of the Lord throughout the world. The inspiration of the Lord has gone out and takes hold of the minds of men, though they know it not, and they are directed by the Lord. In this manner he brings them into his service that his purposes and his righteousness, in due time, may be supreme on the earth.
“Now let me say briefly that I do not believe for one moment that these discoveries have come by chance, or that they have come because of superior intelligence possessed by men today over those who lived in ages that are past. They have come and are coming because the time is ripe, because the Lord has willed it, and because he has poured out his Spirit on all flesh.” Conference Report, Oct. 1926, p. 117

Howard W. Hunter
“In recent years we have begun using information technology to hasten the sacred work of providing ordinances for the deceased. The role of technology in this work has been accelerated by the Lord Himself, who has had a guiding hand in its development and will continue to do so. However, we stand only on the threshold of what we can do with these tools. I feel that our most enthusiastic projections can capture only a tiny glimpse of how these tools can help us—and of the eternal consequences of these efforts.” March 1995

M. Russell Ballard
“There are many ways to enhance our precious council time, like always coming well prepared. We could handle scheduling or other organizational matters by memo, phone, email, or text. When we allow organizational matters to dominate our efforts and time in our councils, we run the risk of missing the mark of why the Lord has called us to minister in His Church.” 2013 WWLT
https://www.lds.org/church/news/technol ... d?lang=eng
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Quotes on the church and technology

Post by aebrown »

There were two earlier efforts I know of along these lines: That last one has over 20 quotes.
lightningsparks4

Re: Quotes on the church and technology

Post by lightningsparks4 »

Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said, “Depending on how technology is used, these advances can be a blessing or a deterrent. Technology, when understood and used for righteous purposes, need not be a threat but rather an enhancement to spiritual communication.”

Return to “Links & Resources”