HELP! Calendars will not Sync for just 1 individual

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
brettbarson

HELP! Calendars will not Sync for just 1 individual

Post by brettbarson »

I am trying to help a Stake President sync his calendar to his work email account which is hosted by gmail. It was working fine until he wanted to make some changes to it and I helped him to delete it from his work account. We went back into his LDS.org account to set up a new calendar using sync by URL, generated a new URL, added it to his gmail calendar like normal and nothing happened. Absolutely nothing. We have gone through the correct process over a dozen times now and cannot get it to sync anything! But when I use his work calendar and add my own personal LDS.org calendar to it, it works great, syncing instantly and with no fuss and all of my calendar items shows up just fine. It is only HIS LDS.org calendar that will not sync whether we use the gmail, outlook or iCal options in the URL generation page.

I am hoping someone else has run into this problem and can help me as the Stake President needs to have his calendars all in one place. Since the church gives no tech support for this program, I'm desperately hoping that someone will have an idea on how I can fix this.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: HELP! Calendars will not Sync for just 1 individual

Post by aebrown »

Two ideas:

First, make sure that you are aware that you cannot use the sync URL more often than every 9 minutes. If any device or application has accessed the sync URL, then no other device or application can successfully access it again until 9 minutes later.

Second, you can download the data from the sync URL manually and see what it looks like. That can give you some clues as to what is happening. To do that, just paste the sync URL into a browser (making sure that you take care not to do it sooner than 9 minutes after the last sync), which will cause your browser to prompt you to download/save a file. That will be an iCal file (which is a text file, which is generally saved with a .ics extension). If that file is 0 bytes long, or has some other obvious problem, then that will be a clue as to why the sync to a Google Calendar doesn't work.

Then you can try to narrow down the problem. Perhaps you could reduce the number of calendars he is subscribed to, since one possible problem is that a particular event has some data that messes up the iCal sync feed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Not that changing the URL will not reset the timer. The timer is per account, not per URL. So you can't successfully sync for 9 minutes after the last time the file was successfully retrieved.

Nine minutes is a long time, so you will have to find something else to do while you wait for the next attempt.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brettbarson

Post by brettbarson »

Thank you for your reply, I will be looking at the manual URL view later today to see if there is in fact information in that file. We are aware of the 9 minute counter which has not been a help unfortunately as the last sync we did on his calendar was over a week ago now with no discernible data being listed on his work calendar. Thank you for your direction on the manual URL route, that is my next step.

Return to “Church Account”