Sacrament Meetings on Fridays

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
danielbergheim

Sacrament Meetings on Fridays

Post by danielbergheim »

In our part of the world (Arabian Peninsula), Sacrament meetings are held on Fridays. Does anyone know whether the lesson schedule and the meeting schedule can be adjusted accordingly? Members increasingly use the online tools, but get confused with the Sunday-focused lesson schedules, and new members show up at our meetinghouse on Sundays, when nobody is at the building.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sacrament Meetings on Fridays

Post by russellhltn »

I moved the topic to Lesson Schedule since I think that's what you're really asking about. By default, there's nothing on the calendar - everything is set by local leaders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I attended my first Friday sacrament meeting over 30 years ago. But until then, and since, I would have not even given thought to the fact that Friday is the Sabbath in some parts of the world, and Saturday is the Sabbath in others. I doubt that anyone who programmed the Lesson Schedule site even thought of it. Even the old Local Unit Web Site was programmed for Sunday only.

If I were in your place, I would establish a convention that the Sunday lesson represents either the Friday preceding (best option, in my opinion) or the Friday following. Then I would just use the site as best I could.

As for meeting schedules, you can still post the times, but I am not aware of a good way to let visitors know that you meet on Friday (or Saturday in some other parts of the world). Even 30 years ago, I learned from others who had visited your area or were living there.

I had to absorb much more than just the concept that Church meetings were on Friday. I was there during the transition to small group meetings, where if you held the Melchizedek Priesthood you presided at and conducted a sacrament meeting every week.

It would be appropriate for your priesthood leaders, if they have not already done so, to remind of your situation through channels to Church headquarters, and that it would help if the computer tools were more flexible to assist you in your corner of the vineyard. But I suspect it would probably require more than minor programming changes to implement a Friday or Saturday Sabbath.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I brought this up a while ago (see What about areas where church isn't on Sunday?), but I think at that time they were just scrambling to have things working so they could shut down the old LUWS system. I agree with lajackson: have your priesthood leaders remind church headquarters about your situation. Lesson Schedules is still one of the newer tools and hopefully it will be revised with more features over time.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”