MLS Manual?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
natrx-p40

MLS Manual?

Post by natrx-p40 »

Hello again,

Is there an online version of an MLS manual? I've recently been called as stake clerk and have had a couple questions arise. I'd like to cut down unnecessary trips and since I don't know the in's and out's of MLS yet, I'd like to have a reference when these questions arise rather than having to make a trip to the stake.

Anybody know?

thanks in advance,
Nate
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

natrx wrote:Is there an online version of an MLS manual? I've recently been called as stake clerk and have had a couple questions arise. I'd like to cut down unnecessary trips and since I don't know the in's and out's of MLS yet, I'd like to have a reference when these questions arise rather than having to make a trip to the stake.
There is no online manual, but there are some good resources available to help you avoid a trip to the stake center:
  1. Install MLS on a personal computer with the test data. (Instructions for installation are available here.) I use this all the time for my own reference and particularly to answer questions from others. Of course once you have installed MLS, you have the MLS help system, which is the only "manual" there is.
  2. Use the online training lessons at lds.org, or install them on your own computer. Along with these lessons is the Record Keeping FAQ (also installed with MLS) and a few other helpful documents.
  3. Search this forum for answers. Post questions if you don't find the answer. There are no guarantees, but often people get answers within an hour.
  4. Search the LDSClerks Wiki.
  5. There are a few other online resources, so sometimes a Google search will yield answers.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

There is not an online manual for MLS. There will be a pdf manual in the future but for now, my suggestion is to have all of your clerks take the online training lessons and check out the clerk.lds.org for troubleshooting articles. Also have them check out the tips of the week.
natrx-p40

Post by natrx-p40 »

Thanks DJC..will forward that along to the unit clerks
BenJoeM-p40

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

As ward clerk, I have recently been getting tons of requests from new organizational leaders to help them with the computer. It was getting to the point where they wanted me to enter their home teaching, etc.

So I held a training this past week and it was a success. Included a quick manual to help with the the use of MLS. It was well received. I had remembered this topic thread when looking for an already made manual. When I didn't find one, I made one for our group. So I thought I would share it with all of you.

See Attached

Ok never mind, I can get the attachments to work. if you would like to send me a message.

BenJoe

[Alan_Brown: A PDF of the manual is now attached]
Attachments
Church_Computer_Training_Manual.pdf
(614.65 KiB) Downloaded 17542 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

BenJoeM wrote:So I held a training this past week and it was a success. Included a quick manual to help with the the use of MLS. It was well received. I had remembered this topic thread when looking for an already made manual. When I didn't find one, I made one for our group. So I thought I would share it with all of you.
Thank you for taking the time to write and share this. It will help many people.

If I could make one suggestion: In Section 1 you emphasize that people should turn off the computer after each use. I expected a final section that would explain how to do this, but the only advice is "turn off after every use." MLS can have significant problems if it is not exited properly, and the computer shutdown properly. It would be a good idea to tell people to exit MLS, then shut down the computer and wait for it to complete before turning power off to the computer (particularly if it has a power strip there is a temptation to turn it off before the shutdown is complete).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:In Section 1 you emphasize that people should turn off the computer after each use.
I'm more of a "turn it off at the end of the day" type of person.

Alan_Brown wrote:then shut down the computer and wait for it to complete before turning power off to the computer (particularly if it has a power strip there is a temptation to turn it off before the shutdown is complete).
I had one ward that corrupted their files twice. I made up a sign explaining that they had to wait for the computer to power off before turning off the power strip. There was never a problem after that.

Other then that, it's a good write-up. Especially for the "can identify a computer at 10 feet" types. ;)
BenJoeM-p40

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm more of a "turn it off at the end of the day" type of person.

I had one ward that corrupted their files twice. I made up a sign explaining that they had to wait for the computer to power off before turning off the power strip. There was never a problem after that.

Other then that, it's a good write-up. Especially for the "can identify a computer at 10 feet" types. ;)
These are all great points that should be added. Honestly in the middle of the training I thought of that very thing. So I made sure to walk through the steps in the training. Most of the people knew how to turn the computer on and off, but a few members didn't. So in my next addition I am going to add that.

If anyone would like a word document version just PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:MLS can have significant problems if it is not exited properly, and the computer shutdown properly.
To be a little more specific, this is most often the cause when all of the logins are lost. The login/password file is written very late in the MLS shutdown process, and if it is not written properly, there will be no logins in the future.

Fixing this problem usually requires rolling back through two backups. If it happens during the week, you may get lucky with just some reentering of HT or VT information, or some membership updates if you did not Send/Receive.

But one of our wards just got to reenter a complete Sunday deposit. No fun.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”