Fast Offering-Rent check delivered to member

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mhearne

Fast Offering-Rent check delivered to member

Post by mhearne »

I am a fairly new Ward Finance Clerk. The Bishop has approved a Fast Offering assistance to member by paying member's rent. The check is made payable to the landlord. In reviewing LDS.org - Resources -Record-Keeping - Finance- Fast Offerings- Paying Expenses of Ward Members - Policie & Procedures- Item 3 -When possible, make payments to providers of goods and services rather than to the person being assisted or to other individuals. So check is made out to Landlord. So far so good.

However, the the comment section there is a comment (not by FRD Support) that states that "Checks payable to service providers should be mailed or delivered directly to service provider. You should not give checks to the member being assisted." I can see this for paying Utilities, etc, but does this apply for rent as well? Is this actual Church Policy or just a best practice? I have found that Bishop has been asking Clerk to deliver check and receipt request (made out to landlord) to member directly and member gives to Landlord and has landlord sign the receipt and member returning the receipt to Bishop. This seems to work, but I want to insure that Church Policy is followed and that I have support for that Policy when I approach the Bishop about this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Fast Offering-Rent check delivered to member

Post by russellhltn »

mhearne wrote:I have found that Bishop has been asking Clerk to deliver check and receipt request (made out to landlord) to member directly and member gives to Landlord and has landlord sign the receipt and member returning the receipt to Bishop.
What is preventing the ward from delivering it to the landlord directly? What is the advantage of doing it that way?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mhearne wrote:However, the the comment section there is a comment (not by FRD Support) that states that....
If there is no confirmation or response from FRD Support, then an entry in the comments section is just someone's opinion. In my opinion, when the Church specifically lists 7 guidelines, then that's generally what they mean. What this other person added as a comment is not binding.

The bishop should exercise judgment in how the check is delivered. If your current delivery method works well, I see no reason to change the practice, since you are following the published guidelines.
mhearne

Post by mhearne »

I just looked at the Expenses and Reimbursement/Processing Expenses and Reimbursement - and check on Quick Steps (there is option to READ, QUICK STEPS, WATCH) and there it says "Step 5- Distribute or mail the check (for fast-offering payments, mail the check to the payee; do not give the check to the member)." This seems to me this is direct support that Church wants the Fast Offering checks sent by Clerk's to the third party payee and not given to member for them to make payment. Am I correct on this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mhearne wrote:I just looked at the Expenses and Reimbursement/Processing Expenses and Reimbursement - and check on Quick Steps (there is option to READ, QUICK STEPS, WATCH) and there it says "Step 5- Distribute or mail the check (for fast-offering payments, mail the check to the payee; do not give the check to the member)." This seems to me this is direct support that Church wants the Fast Offering checks sent by Clerk's to the third party payee and not given to member for them to make payment. Am I correct on this?
To be clear, you're talking about Expenses and Reimbursements under Processing Expenses and Reimbursements (not the other way around).

Yes, that's a good catch. It's a bit frustrating that in one place you'll see what looks like a comprehensive set of guidelines, and then tucked away in the Quick Steps of another article, you find one more detail. But in any case, that does seem to be an authoritative source to tell us that fast offering checks should not be given to the member for delivery to the payee.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”