Dell Optiplex 780 Windows licenses

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
drepouille

Dell Optiplex 780 Windows licenses

Post by drepouille »

My stake received three Dell Optiplex 780 computers about four years ago. I cannot find a Windows license key anywhere on these computers. When I looked at the CD/DVDs included in the shipment, I found both Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro installation disks (not FHC images).

I would like to upgrade these computers using the current Windows 7 Pro FHC image disc, but I don't know if I need to pay $72 for new Windows 7 Pro license keys, since I don't know which license the Church bought with these computers.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Dell Optiplex 780 Windows licenses

Post by russellhltn »

If they came with Win7 disks, then I'd expect it would have a license for Win7.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drepouille wrote:My stake received three Dell Optiplex 780 computers about four years ago. I cannot find a Windows license key anywhere on these computers.
Did you try looking here? :)
tab.jpg
tab.jpg (30 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
coa.jpg
coa.jpg (46.97 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

:O What will they think of next?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I suppose that is possible. I removed the plastic cover from the back, unplugged all the cables, released the computer and casing from the monitor stand, and removed the computer from its casing. I don't remember seeing anything like what is pictured, but it is possible it is there.
Thanks.
Now I just have to figure out whether our 780s shipped with Vista or Windows 7 license keys.
danpass

Post by danpass »

drepouille wrote:I suppose that is possible. I removed the plastic cover from the back, unplugged all the cables, released the computer and casing from the monitor stand, and removed the computer from its casing. I don't remember seeing anything like what is pictured, but it is possible it is there.
Thanks.
Now I just have to figure out whether our 780s shipped with Vista or Windows 7 license keys.
In addition to the pull-out flap that Mikerowaved mentioned, if you know the service tag numbers of the computers (visible on a tiny label with very tiny print on the back of the computer, or in the firmware setup), you don't have to wait until you are back in your FHC. Go to the Dell support site and using the service tag numbers, look up the shipped configuration of each computer. Search for the characters "COA" to find it quickly. The description for that item should tell you.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I had looked up the system tag on dell.com earlier, but didn't see it until now:
4PW6N1Kit, Software, Overpack, WXPPSP3, 2K9B, English

J5VWM1Label, Certificate Of Authenticity, Operating System, W7P3/6

PPK5P1Kit, Software, W7P32, Multiple User Interface, Non European

That matches what I found -- one XP DVD and one W7 DVD. So it looks like the COA is for W7.
Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I have one 780 in our FHC, and I had one XP and Win7 disk for it. I'm pretty sure it shipped with Win7 license with the WinXP downgrade option. When someone fubared the hard drive, I reloaded it from the Win7 disk. It took to it just fine. At the time, it was the newest machine in the entire place, so the Win7 disk couldn't have come from anywhere else.

Return to “Family History Centers”