Google Calendar Sync Problem

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mtebert12

Google Calendar Sync Problem

Post by mtebert12 »

I followed the instructions to sync my LDS calendar with my google account for more quick and easy access...However it does not populate any of the data into the google calendar. If I download the ICS file from the link and import it into my Calendar (mac). It shows everything, but I have no way to update it remotely. IS this a bug or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
rafaelmunoz

Re: Google Calendar Sync Problem

Post by rafaelmunoz »

I have had the same issue in the past with Google Calendar. It seems to be hit and miss. I've had to obtain new Sync URLs until one works. Even after I've been able to sync the LDS calendar in Google, it doesn't seem to update if an event is added to the LDS calendar. Synchronizing the LDS calendar to MS Outlook does seem to work well.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rafaelmunoz wrote:Even after I've been able to sync the LDS calendar in Google, it doesn't seem to update if an event is added to the LDS calendar.
I've noticed that it can take a day or so to sync. It's all up to Google how often it checks for changes, but if there's a way to set it, I've not found it.

The sync service is sometimes down. So as a test, we recommend that you paste the URL in a browser. You should be rewarded with a downloaded file.

Also note that there's a 9 minute throttle for sync requests. So once any device (including your browser test) asks for the URL, you will have to wait at least 9 minutes before you can have another successful sync. Failure to do that can result in no data and possibly some odd error messages.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mtebert12

Post by mtebert12 »

russellhltn wrote:
rafaelmunoz wrote:Even after I've been able to sync the LDS calendar in Google, it doesn't seem to update if an event is added to the LDS calendar.
I've noticed that it can take a day or so to sync. It's all up to Google how often it checks for changes, but if there's a way to set it, I've not found it.

The sync service is sometimes down. So as a test, we recommend that you paste the URL in a browser. You should be rewarded with a downloaded file.

Also note that there's a 9 minute throttle for sync requests. So once any device (including your browser test) asks for the URL, you will have to wait at least 9 minutes before you can have another successful sync. Failure to do that can result in no data and possibly some odd error messages.
Sounding more like a bug to me. I have adopted an entirely "google" approach to project and calendar managing. This however does not seem to be working and only shows the data that was first in sync when the link from LDS website calendar link was generated. Not sure what the next approach should be.

Also @ Russell I have been trying to sync the same calendar with the same link for nearly a week--this should definitely meet the "9 minute throttle for sync requests" requirement to populate the data remotely. I added a few calendar items on the "young men" calendar on our ward website yesterday and it still hasn't updated.

Lastly I watched all the tutorials available to see if I was doing something wrong and do not think I have set something up improper.
leeliv

Post by leeliv »

I have had this problem before but it was working perfectly for the last several months until today. I use two different Apple devices. An iPhone and an iPad. They were syncing just fine as far as I know but I wanted to sync to Google today as well. So I grabbed the appropriate sync URL and put it into google, I made sure I followed the instructions perfectly but it never worked. So I generated new Sync URLs that did not work. I had to delete the old URLs out of my iPhone and iPad, but that was a big mistake, because the new URLs did not work in those devices either. I have generated new Sync URLs at least 5 times and had tried each of them with no success. After so much time, Google gives off a message indicating that the set up of the calendar was unsuccessful and then deletes it. (I never noticed this before but it appears that the google and iCal sync URLs are actually the same, just different instructions. I assume that is correct
?)

I have a scheduled presentation early in the morning to the Stake tomorrow unfortunately.

I am leaving the latest sync URL in google and in my apple devices to see if time will solve it as it has been suggested in this forum, but I have already let it go probably as long as 30 - 60 minutes between tests of each new URL. But that has not solved it so far.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hmmm. This raises some interesting points as to when the 9 minute timer expires. We've been told "URL", but it's possible that it means "account". In which case a new URL won't reset the timer. It's also unclear what may re-start the timer. If you have a device that polls every minute, would you get a sync every 9 minutes, or never (since 9 minutes never elapses between attempts.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

leeliv wrote:So I generated new Sync URLs that did not work.
I've received clarification that the 9-minute timer is attached to the account, not the URL. So generating a new URL will not reset the timer. That's probably what happened.

Making a request will not reset the timer, so you'll have to wait until 9 minutes after the last successful sync done by any device against your account before you can get another good sync.

Return to “Calendar”