More Downloadable Videos?

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
ryanfalke-p40

More Downloadable Videos?

Post by ryanfalke-p40 »

I don't know if this is possible with the different copyrights and such, but can all the videos of the church be placed on the website for download. I know the Book of Mormon videos are there now and they are super fantastic! However, in the Book of Mormon Sunday school manual it references many other videos which are not on the site. Are there plans to put them on the site eventually as well? Thanks for replies.
--ryan
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I'm surprised the manual references more than were on the recently-reissued version on DVD. I don't think there were more than about 14 (don't have my copy in front of me right now to be sure on the number).
BensMeister

This would be great!

Post by BensMeister »

I would like to be able to watch seminary & institue videos, old testament, new testament, etc. all from the comfort of my home.

On a similar note. (Maybe this belongs in its own thread) It would be great if the church's building policies allowed for a wireless network to be installed in the building that could only allow connections to LDS servers (LDS.org, Familysearch, etc.) This way, you could bring a laptop or other device, and access copyrighted media inside the building. The restriction on LDS sites would allow it to work under current Family History Library policies. (Should you already have an internet connection to the building.)

Not only could this give bishoprics access to LUWS resources in PEC, Bishopric Meeting, etc., but if a all of the media found in the library were online at wardhouselibrary.LDS.org (for example) then folks could plan lessons with that material at home, bring in their laptops or whatever, click on the booksmarks, and voila instant non-downloadable visual aids!

The other day our Primary President wanted to show a training video found on the primary side of LDS.org. I was shocked that I couldn't just download it and put it onto a DVD for her, so we ended up getting permission from the stake to tap into the FH Library's router via cat5 and have them give their presentaion (including video) right there in the FH Library. It worked, but it was a little bit overkill as far as ease of set-up and gaining permision.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BensMeister wrote:On a similar note. (Maybe this belongs in its own thread) It would be great if the church's building policies allowed for a wireless network to be installed in the building that could only allow connections to LDS servers (LDS.org, Familysearch, etc.)
Check the section "Meeting house Internet". It's being phased in, but it's possible - but the stake foots the bill.

The second part about giving it access to content that the church wouldn't otherwise want to make public is a good idea.

Currently there's nothing prohibiting transferring these videos/filmstrips etc to other media, just from publishing on a website.
BensMeister

Post by BensMeister »

I'm sorry, I found the answer to the Internet Access Question here:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1294

Return to “Other Member Technologies”