Event times changing

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
bdgarman

Event times changing

Post by bdgarman »

[Moderator Note: I split this post out from the topic DST Mar 9th 2014 Bug, since it deals with a different issue.]

I have been having a similar problem. I enter times in, and then a week or two later they magically revert backwards by two hours. I am in California, in the Pacific Standard Time Zone, and my computer had the correct time zone when the times were entered, and the times and dates record correctly initially, but then change within a week or two. This happens to all of our ward calendars. I have corrected them 2 or 3 times now, and have posted feedback to the church via lds.org regarding the issue with no response (back in January). I am the Ward Executive Secretary tasked with setting up the calendars, but at this point, our ward is officially not going to use the calendar until the problem is resolved, as not being able to control the times of events is a big issue.

Let us know when it is corrected and we will try testing again.
Last edited by aebrown on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Note split from original topic
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Event times changing

Post by aebrown »

There are many people in the Pacific Time Zone using the calendar without the problems you report, so there must be something else going on here. I've never heard of wholesale changes to all events happening many days after the events are created.

One possibility is that someone else (at least an editor, and probably an administrator) is using a computer with an incorrect time zone setting, and so all the times appear incorrect to them. So they "fix" the times, which of course is making them incorrect. You could test this theory by going to the event details on one of the events with the adjusted incorrect time, and see who is the "contact person" for that event; that will be the person who most recently edited the event.

You said that the times change for "all of our ward calendars." Have you looked at events in the past? Do they change as well? I'm wondering if there is any different behavior around DST time changes.

Do you have any private calendars? Do times change for those events, too? You might try setting up a private calendar as a test, with only you as an editor, and create one event on that calendar, which you can then specifically examine to see if it changes.

Return to “Calendar”