Meetinghouse system update

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Meetinghouse system update

Post by russellhltn »

Note: Topic was split from RF to video adapter
StevePoulsen wrote: a system update, which will eliminate the need for a TV tuner.
Ohhhh, do tell. What can we expect?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: RF to video adapter

Post by StevePoulsen »

russellhltn wrote:
StevePoulsen wrote: a system update, which will eliminate the need for a TV tuner.
Ohhhh, do tell. What can we expect?
I'll elaborate, and apologize, that some of you may have to wait a long time.

The Upgrade Process
Approximately every 15 to 20 years, as budgets allow, the AV systems in the meetinghouse are updated. When they are updated, the same plans used for the construction of new meetinghouses are used as the template for the new system.
The latest version of the standard plans for new construction in the US and Canada includes base band distribution of video signals to the large meeting rooms in the meetinghouse, cultural hall, and an RGBHV (VGA) input and outputs in the chapel. while neither HDMI nor HD through out the building the new standard plan will allow for an HD (analog) image in the chapel when an HD source is connected, and will no longer need tuners anywhere else in the building.

As i mentioned, above, just because there is a new standard does not mean the meetinghouse will just all get it. These systems are costly, and are only installed when it comes time for the existing system to be replaced. Patience is the key, for those who have just had the system replace, expect to wait 15 to 20 years for a new one, but by that time there will probably be something even newer and greater.

For the last 20 or perhaps longer years, the video system in the meetinghouse has been modulators, which despite it's age is an extremely cost effective way of distributing video throughout the meetinghouse.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

StevePoulsen wrote:The latest version of the standard plans for new construction in the US and Canada includes base band distribution of video signals to the large meeting rooms in the meetinghouse, cultural hall, and an RGBHV (VGA) input and outputs in the chapel. while neither HDMI nor HD through out the building the new standard plan will allow for an HD (analog) image in the chapel when an HD source is connected, and will no longer need tuners anywhere else in the building.
How does that work with multiple languages, or supporting a chapel camera? Hopefully there's a switch somewhere to select the source.

My situation is complicated because we nearly always "tape" delay a broadcast. Adding a DVR to add a fixed delay would be optimal for our stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

My situation is complicated because we nearly always "tape" delay a broadcast. Adding a DVR to add a fixed delay would be optimal for our stake.
Out stake purchased a DVR/DVD recorder for the media center (Philips DVDR3575H). Although this is an old unit, it is perfect for us – allowing us to record anything to the internal hard drive, edit out what we want, and burn a DVD. Since the unit is connected to the satellite cabinet switch, we can easily record satellite and camera sources. It’s so easy: make the selection on the switch and press the record button.

The YSA's always want us to record and play back their CES broadcasts for them and I have become so engrossed in those CES broadcasts, I'll burn a copy for my wife and I. For instance, is you have not watched Tad Collister's "What Is the Blueprint of Christ's Church?", check it out, it was great!

We have also used the DVR/DVD recorder to record and play back prelude videos/music.

Note: Permission to record Stake Conferences must be granted by the presiding authority of the meeting.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote:Out stake purchased a DVR/DVD recorder for the media center (Philips DVDR3575H). Although this is an old unit, it is perfect for us – allowing us to record anything to the internal hard drive, edit out what we want, and burn a DVD.
Yes, that's nice. We also have a pair of DVD recorders and that works well for us. But what I'd really like is an adjustable delay between the satellite receiver and modulators. That way we can watch the broadcast as if the satellite feed was for our time zone. That way I don't have set the timer, finalize the disk, set up a DVD player & hook up the audio. Less stuff to set up and put away. We'd also get the current broadcast "pre-roll" with countdown, and upcoming reminders instead of a blank screen before the broadcast.

johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

StevePoulsen wrote:How does that work with multiple languages, or supporting a chapel camera? Hopefully there's a switch somewhere to select the source.
The tech closet covers these switches, you can choose an input (Camera from Chapel, BYUTV, any alternate language channel) etc... and you can also choose through a different switch which rooms to send it to. There are also some overrides in the rooms so the RS could hold a secondary language version while all other rooms can do the primary language.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:The tech closet covers these switches, you can choose an input (Camera from Chapel, BYUTV, any alternate language channel) etc... and you can also choose through a different switch which rooms to send it to. There are also some overrides in the rooms so the RS could hold a secondary language version while all other rooms can do the primary language.
Ohhh, a routing switcher! Nice. (And $$$, I'm sure.)

StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Meetinghouse system update

Post by StevePoulsen »

First My apologies, I thought I had set my preferences to notify me of replies to my post so that I'd know if i needed to clarify anything. For the most part it seems you have all figured it out, though i can add a couple of things.
michaelfish wrote:
Out stake purchased a DVR/DVD recorder for the media center (Philips DVDR3575H). Although this is an old unit, it is perfect for us – allowing us to record anything to the internal hard drive, edit out what we want, and burn a DVD. Since the unit is connected to the satellite cabinet switch, we can easily record satellite and camera sources. It’s so easy: make the selection on the switch and press the record button.

The YSA's always want us to record and play back their CES broadcasts for them and I have become so engrossed in those CES broadcasts, I'll burn a copy for my wife and I. For instance, is you have not watched Tad Collister's "What Is the Blueprint of Christ's Church?", check it out, it was great!

We have also used the DVR/DVD recorder to record and play back prelude videos/music.

Note: Permission to record Stake Conferences must be granted by the presiding authority of the meeting.
While a DVD player is not permanently wired into the system, one is provided as part of the furnishings package for new buildings, additionally, the system includes both VGA and Composite Video and their associated audio inputs and outputs. So that if you need or want to record and play back you can, while at the same time freeing up the DVD payer for regular use for the remaining Sundays. additionally, with the exception of regional stake conferences, most broadcasts are archived at CHQ, and made available for streaming play back with an hour of a broadcasts
russellhltn wrote: But what I'd really like is an adjustable delay between the satellite receiver and modulators. That way we can watch the broadcast as if the satellite feed was for our time zone. That way I don't have set the timer, finalize the disk, set up a DVD player & hook up the audio. Less stuff to set up and put away. We'd also get the current broadcast "pre-roll" with countdown, and upcoming reminders instead of a blank screen before the broadcast.
Sounds good, but in it's current iteration the satellite receive does not include a
hard disk to record to. To get a system that would allow for this would require not only a new model of receiver in the meetinghouse, but a new manufacture, and a large change to the broadcast infrastructure as well. so I don't see it happening anytime soon.
russellhltn wrote: Ohhh, a routing switcher! Nice. (And $$$, I'm sure.)
Don't get to excited, it's only composite video, and depending on the iteration of the plans, it may only be a source switch with built in scaler/scan converter. But yes it is substantially more flexibility than has previously been available.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Meetinghouse system update

Post by russellhltn »

StevePoulsen wrote:
russellhltn wrote: But what I'd really like is an adjustable delay between the satellite receiver and modulators. That way we can watch the broadcast as if the satellite feed was for our time zone. That way I don't have set the timer, finalize the disk, set up a DVD player & hook up the audio. Less stuff to set up and put away. We'd also get the current broadcast "pre-roll" with countdown, and upcoming reminders instead of a blank screen before the broadcast.
Sounds good, but in it's current iteration the satellite receive does not include a
hard disk to record to. To get a system that would allow for this would require not only a new model of receiver in the meetinghouse, but a new manufacture, and a large change to the broadcast infrastructure as well. so I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Doing it in the receiver would be ideal, but I wouldn't rule out a custom-configured computer that sits between the receiver and the rest of the system.

Return to “Satellite”