The destination unit must be an active ward or branch.

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
kevbud2010

The destination unit must be an active ward or branch.

Post by kevbud2010 »

Are ward just split and we now have a computer for the old ward and one for the new one.
Do I need to backup the MLS from the old computer and restore it to the new one or just let MLS pull down the new ward records from the web?
Thanks

I also receive "The destination unit must be an active ward or branch." when i try to do a boundary realignment.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: The destination unit must be an active ward or branch.

Post by russellhltn »

kevbud2010 wrote:Are ward just split and we now have a computer for the old ward and one for the new one.
Do I need to backup the MLS from the old computer and restore it to the new one or just let MLS pull down the new ward records from the web?
That depends on what's happening to the ward represented by the unit number on the old computer. You would do that only if that unit number is moving to the new computer.

The new unit pulls all it's information from CHQ - just like any other ward. There is no direct ward-to-ward transfer of data.

kevbud2010 wrote:I also receive "The destination unit must be an active ward or branch." when i try to do a boundary realignment.
The new unit may not be completely set up at CHQ end. The stake has to file the paperwork before it can be done. Even then I believe it takes a couple of days.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kevbud2010

Post by kevbud2010 »

Right on the money. Thanks for your reply. With a new ward and a new pc does the bishop have to log in the first time on MLS to sync it up? He is the only one showing as a member of the new ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kevbud2010 wrote:With a new ward and a new pc does the bishop have to log in the first time on MLS to sync it up? He is the only one showing as a member of the new ward.
When installing MLS, an Admin account that is not (yet) associated with any member is created. In your case, I suspect it was the bishop who installed MLS.

Since there is only one account, that account must be the one to do the sync.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

It looks like the new ward was activated this morning in CDOL. I believe that CMIS gets that overnight, so you will have to wait until at least tomorrow for the members to be moved in.
kevbud2010

Post by kevbud2010 »

Okay, Thanks.
kevbud2010

Post by kevbud2010 »

One more question. I assume that when I move everyone over to the new ward we will have to re add all callings and rights? And will I also lose all rights on MLS from the old ward when i move my name over (I might need it in case i had to go back and fix something)?
Thanks Again
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kevbud2010 wrote:One more question. I assume that when I move everyone over to the new ward we will have to re add all callings and rights?
Yes, I would expect that.

kevbud2010 wrote:And will I also lose all rights on MLS from the old ward when i move my name over (I might need it in case i had to go back and fix something)?
I'd expect you to only lose the rights to the local MLS that require a specific calling. But you'd loose it as soon as the new clerks deactivate your MLS account.

kevbud2010

Post by kevbud2010 »

Okay,Thanks Again.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

kevbud2010 wrote:I assume that when I move everyone over to the new ward we will have to re add all callings and rights?
A subtle clarification here: callings in the new ward are new callings in a new ward. Someone may have the same calling in the new ward as they had in the old ward, but it is a new calling in a new ward. As an example, in a ward split where the old bishop ends up in the boundaries of the new ward and is called as its bishop, he is recommended and approved to be the bishop of the new ward, not just "transferred" from his position in the old ward.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”