General Conference Audio before 1997

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
familiesr4ever-p40

General Conference Audio before 1997

Post by familiesr4ever-p40 »

Is the church working archiving any audio mp3 talks of General Conference talks before 1997? I am very interested in the older talks. I have collected all the ones back to 1950 that the BYUTV.org offers for download for devotionals, etc. The older talks are jewels! A friend of mine is starting to compile some that he had on cassette from about 20 years ago for personal use. I was considering posting these to a website for him but in reading some other forums there might be a copyright violation. I will hold off on that thought until someone gives a response to this post.
jeffvand

Post by jeffvand »

Wow... that would be awesome to have this archive! I am often looking for older talks and have found some real jewels in there! :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sounds like a good idea. But there could be copyright issues. Does the church allow re-posting of conference audio?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Until a few years ago, the verbal copyright announcement at the end of each session stated it is prohibited to copy/etc. the broadcast "for commercial gain". The past few/several years, the "for commercial gain" phrase has been dropped. For the earlier years, the wording of the announcement would seem to imply that non-commercial copying and distribution may be allowed. However, a check with the Church permissions department would be a very good idea before distributing anything. Contact info for the Church IP department is available on the following page:

http://tech.lds.org/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=61

If distribution of older broadcasts is allowed, I have 1/4" open reel tapes of a few years around 1981-1983. The blank tape was made in the US, so it has the "sticky shed" problem and would have to be baked before being played.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Bonneville has a treasure trove of these in their archives, they used to broadcast them nightly on the old LDS Radio Network, but since BYU took over that you rarely hear anything older than about the last ten years or so on a regular basis, maybe now and again you'll hear one.

So maybe someone would have to check to see if Bonneville can prepare some mp3 files and get them over to the Church to post them.

Also, before 2003, almost everything that is up there now is in .wma, and as mentioned earlier, iPods don't do .wma due to the compressed audio format war between Microsoft and Apple.

PS: What about old General RS meeting talks? Other broadcast talks that went out over the satellite over the last 28 years? There's a big load of those at CHQ as well that would be worth having online as well, and don't forget some of the transcripts aren't up yet either.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JamesAnderson wrote:PS: What about old General RS meeting talks?
Like Sheri L. Dew's talks. I really looked forward to them when she was in Relief Society.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:Like Sheri L. Dew's talks. I really looked forward to them when she was in Relief Society.
I agree, except that I would not call them old talks. [grin]
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I would concur that you need to check with the Church's IP department before you post any old content.

Tom
rmaughan

Post by rmaughan »

Has anyone heard back from the IP department yet on this question?

I would be very interested in obtaining the audio of the earlier General Conference address (i.e. 1990 to 1996).
broro5

Post by broro5 »

This may not be a direct answer to your question, but you can subscribe to LDS Voices podcast in the iTunes podcast directory and get some wonderful old talks. I subscribe to it, and I just enjoyed a BYU devotional from 1973 by President (then Elder) Benson. They even had one of Pres Joseph Fielding Smith back from 1961 recently! They update it just about every day with a new talk. It's great!

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”