Disabling Wireless

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
craiggsmith

Disabling Wireless

Post by craiggsmith »

While setting up for our stake conference webcast yesterday I discovered to my dismay that we got one of the new Cisco routers that didn't have removable antennas. This is really frustrating. In only one of our buildings is the router in a location that makes any sense for the wireless anyway; what are your thoughts on having them disable wireless permanently and just using access points?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Disabling Wireless

Post by russellhltn »

The built-in wireless is a good idea for small offices. Ward buildings, not so much. Personally, I think it was a waste of money.

The real question is can you get GS to disable it?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

it just encourages us to bypass the firewall for those broadcasts.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
paulscherbel
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by paulscherbel »

russellhltn wrote: The real question is can you get GS to disable it?
The GSC should be able to do this as long as you aren't requesting it to only be disabled temporarily.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks Paul! I thought it would be the other way around.

I was disappointed to see that they didn't replace those OM access points though; need to get on them about that. We've had a lot of complaints. They even left the ones active that were sitting on top of the routers! And in the buildings where they put 1041's the locations are poor; not sure who they have doing this stuff.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

paulscherbel wrote:The GSC should be able to do this as long as you aren't requesting it to only be disabled temporarily.
I wonder if the wireless settings on the 881W are immune from being reset any time there's a new script rolled out.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

craiggsmith wrote:I was disappointed to see that they didn't replace those OM access points though; need to get on them about that. We've had a lot of complaints. They even left the ones active that were sitting on top of the routers! And in the buildings where they put 1041's the locations are poor; not sure who they have doing this stuff.
I'm so very proud of the restraint I'm showing
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

As our FM's tech went around our stake replacing PIX and ASA with 881Ws, I checked his work at each site, and reported back to the FM all the problems I found. I think he sent his guy back to fix everything I found wrong. In one case, he actually dropped a new 881W on the floor, and had to replace it with a new unit. It was about that time that the tech called me for help, and confessed that he was not a "tech guy".
It still bothers me that in several cases, he mounted a 1041n less than 30 feet away from the 881W.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

johnshaw wrote:I'm so very proud of the restraint I'm showing
:)
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

drepouille wrote:As our FM's tech went around our stake replacing PIX and ASA with 881Ws, I checked his work at each site, and reported back to the FM all the problems I found. I think he sent his guy back to fix everything I found wrong. In one case, he actually dropped a new 881W on the floor, and had to replace it with a new unit. It was about that time that the tech called me for help, and confessed that he was not a "tech guy".
It still bothers me that in several cases, he mounted a 1041n less than 30 feet away from the 881W.
Nice! :p
I wish I knew when things happened in our buildings, either before or after. I always just discover them accidentally. In this case I saw the new 881's in TM, but didn't realize some didn't have antennas, and assumed they had replaced the WAPs too.

On an only slightly related note, in one case I got an email on Thursday saying our internet wouldn't be upgraded to cable (from 1.2 DSL) until the following year, so went and tested out everything for the webcast that night. On Saturday when I went to disconnect the WAPs I discovered that our internet had actually been upgraded on the Friday between. In this case the communication issue was most likely Comcast's fault though.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”