Requested Feature in Clerk Resources Online

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
firehare

Requested Feature in Clerk Resources Online

Post by firehare »

I was asked by the bishop to forward a membership record. I know the new ward, and bishop, but do not have the members new address. It would be nice if clerk resources allowed me to specify the ward/branch where the records go without having the new address.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Requested Feature in Clerk Resources Online

Post by jdlessley »

When I looked at the "Move Records Out" in Clerk Resources it does appear that you cannot designate a unit to send the record. However, when 'No' is selected for 'Is the new address known?', there is a text field for 'Any Contact Information'. I would succinctly as possible explain why the record is being moved without an address. I would mention the ward, with unit number, you think they are moving into and why you think or know it is that ward. Of course if you have any contact information then include that so the "unknown address" service missionaries can attempt to contact the member to get an address.

If you don't feel comfortable moving the record out that way then there is always MLS.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:When I looked at the "Move Records Out" in Clerk Resources it does appear that you cannot designate a unit to send the record. However, when 'No' is selected for 'Is the new address known?', there is a text field for 'Any Contact Information'. I would succinctly as possible explain why the record is being moved without an address. I would mention the ward, with unit number, you think they are moving into and why you think or know it is that ward. Of course if you have any contact information then include that so the "unknown address" service missionaries can attempt to contact the member to get an address.
The information you can put in the 'Any Contact Information' box is very limited. I recently tried to use it and started with a lengthy message with as much information as I had. When I tried to submit it I was told it had to fit in 4 lines of 40 characters each. I think in the end I had to actually put in all in one line with under 160 characters to submit it (actually putting in on 4 lines of 40 characters each as instructed didn't actually work).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

firehare wrote:I was asked by the bishop to forward a membership record. I know the new ward, and bishop, but do not have the members new address. It would be nice if clerk resources allowed me to specify the ward/branch where the records go without having the new address.
What contact information are you providing if not the address? Records we receive without an address are immediately returned with no questions asked, unless there is some other really excellent contact information included.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

A record sent to a new ward without contact information is no good to anyone. The correct way to do this is send it to the unknown file with the information you have in the remarks.
coachdrn

Post by coachdrn »

Gary_Miller wrote:A record sent to a new ward without contact information is no good to anyone. The correct way to do this is send it to the unknown file with the information you have in the remarks.
My Bishop just asked me to forward the records of a family in our ward to another ward. This family moved in with the husband's mother. We know the mother's name and the ward they reside in. Is this not good enough information? But like the original post stated, it would be nice to send the records to the correct ward even though we don't know the address.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

If you know the mother's name and the new ward why not call the ward clerk of the new ward and get the mothers address so you can send the record with all the needed information. Other wise the Bishop of the new ward will not know how to contact the family.

The new ward has no way of knowing that the family is living with the mother unless they are active members and are attending church. Which we all hope is happening.

Being a clerk is doing all you can to ensure the records go to the proper location with the proper information.
coachdrn

Post by coachdrn »

Gary_Miller wrote:If you know the mother's name and the new ward why not call the ward clerk of the new ward and get the mothers address so you can send the record with all the needed information. Other wise the Bishop of the new ward will not know how to contact the family.

The new ward has no way of knowing that the family is living with the mother unless they are active members and are attending church. Which we all hope is happening.

Being a clerk is doing all you can to ensure the records go to the proper location with the proper information.
Great, that's what I did. Thanks!!
webber.wd

Re: Access to Member Visibility Settings

Post by webber.wd »

When preparing the membership information of the printed 2015 stake directory we had to rely on the ward clerks to identify those members who did not want their information included. Since LDS tools allows users to specify the visibility levels for the contact information and address on-line it would be helpful if this information could be exported from MLS (e.g. custom reports) when preparing the membership information. This way we could be sure to respect the settings specified by members on LDS.ORG as well as guidance from the ward clerks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Access to Member Visibility Settings

Post by russellhltn »

webber.wd wrote:it would be helpful if this information could be exported from MLS (e.g. custom reports) when preparing the membership information. This way we could be sure to respect the settings specified by members on LDS.ORG as well as guidance from the ward clerks.
It's doubtful that any features will be added to MLS. Long-term, MLS is going away to on all on-line process.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”