Desktop 5.5 Installation Questions

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
gpetersen-p40

Desktop 5.5 Installation Questions

Post by gpetersen-p40 »

I have some questions regarding installing Desktop 5.5 on administrative computers.
  1. If installing on a computer currently in use (as opposed to a new computer), does the installation proceedure wipe out the current data on the hard drive?
  2. Once installed, does Desktop 5.5 cause the computer to operate slower? (rumor I heard)
  3. Are there problems installing it on the Dell 740 machines?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gpetersen wrote:If installing on a computer currently in use (as opposed to a new computer), does the installation proceedure wipe out the current data on the hard drive?
Yes.
Once installed, does Desktop 5.5 cause the computer to operate slower? (rumor I heard)
Probably. Between Symantec and LANDesk, the stock 256MB of memory doesn't leave much.
Are there problems installing it on the Dell 740 machines?[/LIST]
Yes. The Desktop image lacks the drivers needed to boot from the internal CD-ROM (SATA?). It will boot fine from other CD-ROMs such as IDE or USB.

It sounds like you're missing the install instructions. I would strongly advise getting them.
nkholt-p40

Desktop 5.5 Installation on large drives

Post by nkholt-p40 »

I had a hard drive failure in one of the computers in the stake last week. I purchased a new drive (320GB) and tried for hours unsuccessfully to get the Desktop to load. Does anyone have experience loading the desktop on large hard drives? I finally purchased another drive (160GB) and was unsuccessful until the 2nd attempt but even the 160GB drives are getting difficult to find. Now another hard drive has failed in another machine. Do I need to search for a small drive somewhere besides a local store?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

nkholt wrote:Do I need to search for a small drive somewhere besides a local store?

Try eBay. I've gotten 40Gb hard drives for fhc computer upgrades there for just under $20.
RichMan-p40

Same Problem

Post by RichMan-p40 »

I had a hard drive fail on one of our Dell Optiplex computers. After I could not get Desktop 5.5 to install on a new 320 GB hard drive I figured it was probably the hard drive size. I scrounged up an old 40 GB hard drive and was able to install Desktop 5.5 just fine. However, that hard drive didn't last a week. I finally called MLS support and was told there was a hard drive issue with Desktop 5.5 and the Dell Optiplex but didn't get any specific details. I told them 40 GB hard drives are getting hard to find. The response was to not use Desktop 5.5 and use the security suite instead. I have since installed XP SP3 with the security suite on the new 320 GB hard drive.

Return to “Clerk Computers”