Tithing donor statements bug.

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jirp

Tithing donor statements bug.

Post by jirp »

One of our member families moved to Canada from the US and apparently they can't access their tithing from down here up there. This lead to my looking down here and being unable to find it. So after talking to the father I came out to the church to get the full path in hopes that their clerk could find it there. In the process I found a glitch in how MLS works. If under donor statements you select "print by household" all of the household that are no longer part of your ward disappear from the list. They are there under individual statements but not there under households. Since they also do not show on the tithing declaration report I missed the possibility of sending the ones who were out of my ward because I selected print by household. At the very least there needs to be a warning message that this will happen when print by household is selected.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Tithing donor statements bug.

Post by jdlessley »

Headquarters sends out the tax valid statements to units that have members who have donated to more than one unit during the year. The membership records must have been in those units in which the member donated. There is a file, Official Tax Summary Statement, in the Finance > Financial Statements menu of MLS with those statements.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jirp

Post by jirp »

I just called church headquarters and they said it is still on us at the ward level that they don't.

And yes the information is in that file. But it doesn't show if you only do "print by household"

Editing adding a PS: and the reason to select print by household immediately is having multiple "Smith"s in the ward and having families where the kids names don't match the parents. It is so much easier to let the computer sort those so I never really looked at the individual list to compare it to the household list.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jirp wrote:I just called church headquarters and they said it is still on us at the ward level that they don't.

And yes the information is in that file. But it doesn't show if you only do "print by household"

Editing adding a PS: and the reason to select print by household immediately is having multiple "Smith"s in the ward and having families where the kids names don't match the parents. It is so much easier to let the computer sort those so I never really looked at the individual list to compare it to the household list.
I suspect that the problem is that once they have moved out of the ward, MLS no longer has household information about them. It only knows about individual donors and the donor records don't record relationships between individuals. That comes from the membership information. So I don't think this is a bug so much as a limitation based on what information is available.
jirp

Post by jirp »

I am sure it is a limitation on the system. I just needed to know there is a problem. So if there was a little note under "print by household" that said something like "this function does not work for families not currently residing in the ward" is all I would have needed to cause me to look farther. Or a pop up warning that appeared when I selected that function with a little longer explanation.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”