How to Remove Non-Member Name

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
cloydmcallister

How to Remove Non-Member Name

Post by cloydmcallister »

Our ward has non-members in our ward directory that are not on the non-member list on MLS. Some no longer live in our ward area, others have stated that they have absolutely no interest in our church, and there are a few that our Bishop would like to clear out of the directory. When I type one of these individual's names in the field above the non-member list, nothing happens. How do I remove these names.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: How to Remove Non-Member Name

Post by scgallafent »

When you refer to the "non-member list on MLS," are you referring to the members listed when you go to Membership Records > View and Update > Remove Nonmember?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cloydmcallister wrote:Our ward has non-members in our ward directory that are not on the non-member list on MLS.
When you say "ward directory" are you talking about a list that MLS creates, or the on-line directory? Because the on-line directory can pull the information from the marriage record of a member. You have to contact Local Unit Support to remove those.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cloydmcallister

Post by cloydmcallister »

When I go to "Membership Records > View and Update > Remove Nonmember" on MLS these nonmember names are not listed. But they ARE listed on the membership list on MLS even though they are nonmembers. The Bishop has asked me to remove them, but I can't find a way if they aren't listed in the "remove nonmember" list.

They are also listed in the LDS.org ward directory but that isn't a big concern.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

cloydmcallister wrote:When I go to "Membership Records > View and Update > Remove Nonmember" on MLS these nonmember names are not listed. But they ARE listed on the membership list on MLS even though they are nonmembers. The Bishop has asked me to remove them, but I can't find a way if they aren't listed in the "remove nonmember" list.

They are also listed in the LDS.org ward directory but that isn't a big concern.
Unless each of these people are spouses of members, they won't show up in the online directory unless they have a membership record. If that's the case, they probably have 'child of record' membership records. As such they would not show up under 'Remove Nonmember'. If that is the case then you'll have to cancel the records to remove them. See Handbook 1 Section 3.6.2 for policies on when and how this may be done. If approved by the stake president you can cancel the record by using the Membership > Ordinances > Cancel Record menu option in MLS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Unless each of these people are spouses of members, they won't show up in the online directory unless they have a membership record. If that's the case, they probably have 'child of record' membership records.
They may not have been baptized, but they're technically not "non-members". I think you'll find them if you go into Membership Records > Individual Records.

Unless they were blessed in your ward and the record never left the ward, you won't see any blessing information. That doesn't mean it wasn't done, it's because the backend doesn't store that information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”