Recommendations for new HD Projector?

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
ericpe

Recommendations for new HD Projector?

Post by ericpe »

Our Stake Presidency wants to purchase a new HD projector to replace an old Sony SVGA (VPL-CS1) originally provided by the Church. We also have a couple old Sony XGA projectors (VPL-EX3 and VPL-EX4) that we plan on continuing to use as long as we can. Any recommendations?

After looking around a bit, I'm interested in the ViewSonic PJD7820HD. Anyone have any experience with this equipment? Any other suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Recommendations for new HD Projector?

Post by russellhltn »

What's wrong with the old one? If it's dim, it may be time to replace the bulb.

Have you talked to the FM group? If they supply it, it comes from their budget, not your stake's activity budget.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The FM will provide, let them do it, it is their responsiblity
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Agreed. Our FM provided new projectors for all the meetinghouses in our stake a year or two ago.

HD projectors are nice because they support HDMI, 16x9 aspect ratio, and higher resolution images. While older projectors still work, the 4x3 aspect ratio is not suitable for some applications.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:While older projectors still work, the 4x3 aspect ratio is not suitable for some applications.
The aspect ratio doesn't make any difference to me. I just zoom the image to fill the screen - whatever size it is.

The only way I'm going to get that kind of resolution is if I'm playing back a download file.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

The current meetinghouse standard projector (used for new meetinghouse construction or when the FM determines a lifecycle replacement is warranted) is the Epson 955W. It offers 3000 lumens, with 1280x720 resolution. One of its best features is the A/V mute - a physical sliding panel that covers the lens and makes it simple to go from projecting mode to muting mode to bring attention back to the presenter.
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

ksolsen wrote:...is the Epson 955W. It offers 3000 lumens, with 1280x720 resolution.
Actually, the native resolution is 1280 x 800 (WXGA), but what's a few pixels among friends. :)
ksolsen wrote:One of its best features is the A/V mute...
IMO one of the best features is the HDMI input. I wish at least one of our projectors had that capability.
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

You got me there! 16:9, 16:10, whatever it takes.

I agree - HDMI is an excellent feature to have. The built-in speaker is surprisingly good as well - fills up a small classroom just fine. And with the audio-out jack, it's really easy to feed into a crab box and send the sound into the chapel sound system.
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”