error message when saving newsletter

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
1mossfam

error message when saving newsletter

Post by 1mossfam »

I am a Ward Website Administrator with Administrator and Publisher rights.
When I enter a new article (for the Bishop), I get to the end and click SAVE. The result is that I lose the article and get:

Not Available

This page is unavailable. Error code: 2-1919

Any help or phone number for assistance?

Thank you,

John Moss
Nampa, ID
mmrawle

Re: error message when saving newsletter

Post by mmrawle »

Hello there. A single adult in our stake was having same issue. Was able to post an article and then tried to do another right after and it would not post. Gave exact same error as what you received. So I did some experimentation and finally found that if the word "function" was included in the body of the text that was copied into the newsletter it would give the error. Check to see if you are using that word in the body of your text. Hopefully it does not have issues with other words. That is a very strange bug!! ;-)
mmrawle

Post by mmrawle »

This gets even better. The use of the word in the text submitted was many paragraphs down in the body of the text. If you create just a single sentence with the word "function" it saves ok. Goodness...
1mossfam

Post by 1mossfam »

Just checked. No word "function" in the newsletter. The mystery goes on, but thanks for trying.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mmrawle wrote:I did some experimentation and finally found that if the word "function" was included in the body of the text that was copied into the newsletter it would give the error.
I just did some testing and was unable to reproduce a problem when I used the word "function" in a variety of places in the article. The only reason I can imagine for the word "function" being special is if there's an attempt to protect against some sort of scripting attack (the word "function" is a keyword in Javascript). If that were the case, I'd think there would have to be some other conditions in the text for it to be treated like Javascript than just the appearance of the word "function"; after all, there are many other keywords in Javascript that are also very common English words.

I think it's much more likely to be related to the issues described in the topic Not Available: This Page Is Unavailable.
mmrawle

Post by mmrawle »

Cut and paste the text from this attachment into a new post. If I do so and try to save it gives me the error, If I change any part of the word " function" in the article it will save. Hmmmm...

If I look at the document in Word with hidden characters enabled I do not see anything out of the ordinary.
Attachments
Lorraine Wallace Interview for SA Website.docx
Test file
(16.99 KiB) Downloaded 618 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mmrawle wrote:Cut and paste the text from this attachment into a new post. If I do so and try to save it gives me the error, If I change any part of the word " function" in the article it will save. Hmmmm...

If I look at the document in Word with hidden characters enabled I do not see anything out of the ordinary.
Well, the problem is clearly caused by an attempt to guard against malicious attacks. I first thought it might be a concern over Javascript, but now I think it is probably concerned about SQL injection. Regardless of the particular attack it is guarding against, it is clearly related to keywords.

The word "function" is not a problem at all if you take the text and change the word "create" to "make". Then the entire article will post, even if the word "function" is still there. So somehow it's the word "create" followed by the word "function" (and I'm sure there must be many other combinations as well, but I've run out of patience to try to detect them).

So I'll retract my guess that this problem is related to the other problem. It's definitely related to using certain keywords, probably in a certain order.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:So I'll retract my guess that this problem is related to the other problem. It's definitely related to using certain keywords, probably in a certain order.
That thread went a number of different directions. I think the OPs problem ultimately ended up to be editing a item that had a photo, but that thread also discussed issues with posting certain things in the forum. That, I suspect, is (or at least could be) related.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Richard51

Post by Richard51 »

I have encountered the mentioned fail: "Not available This page is unavailable. Error Code 2-1919 The majority of times when I go in to edit an entry that has been posted, I will make my changes and when I select the Save button, I get the above error. The files I have been working with contain at least 3 photos with commentary. Just yesterday, I went into a file to correct the year (2013 to 2014) on the headline. When I went to save, I got the above mentioned failure. This file has 4 photos. I end up deleting the files and reentering the files that require change. Did not have the word "function" within the file.

Richard Callihan
Richard.callihan@gmail.com
mmarx

Also getting error code 2-1919

Post by mmarx »

I am also getting this exact same error message. I am trying to update a standing article in the newsletter entitled "Ward Missionary Addresses." I have 13 photos (1 of each missionary) and do not use the word "function" in the text of the document. What can I do? I need to update a missionary address and can't do so without the "This page is unavailable. Error code: 2-1919." Should I delete the article altogether or will this bug be fixed soon?

Return to “Newsletter”