Deleting Recurrent Event: Trouble Shooting

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
freewear

Deleting Recurrent Event: Trouble Shooting

Post by freewear »

A weekly event was created accidentally and when I have attempted to delete the entire series, I get a message stating that the system has timed out and that I need to contact tech support. I do not know how to, any suggestions?
drepouille

Re: Deleting Recurrent Event: Trouble Shooting

Post by drepouille »

Change the event to a non-recurring event, and save it. Then delete it.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
pkingrey

Post by pkingrey »

I have a recurring event that the system won't let me delete. I have tried to edit the event to make it non-recurring, but it won't let me edit the event either. The system just times out on the edit and it says to call support whenever I try to delete. I have authorization as the Stk Exe Secretary to make these types of changes and I have previously made these types of changes. There is just one event that seems to be corrupted or stuck that I can't remove from the calendar.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pkingrey wrote:I have a recurring event that the system won't let me delete. I have tried to edit the event to make it non-recurring, but it won't let me edit the event either.
For recurring events that don't have a huge number of repetitions, I have found one technique that is helpful when all else fails. Right-click on the event, then choose Delete This Event Only. It can be tedious if you have to delete a lot of occurrences, but it has worked for me in those odd cases where you can't delete the whole series of events.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:Right-click on the event, then choose Delete This Event Only.
I needed to delete a recurrent event earlier this week. I was not able to delete any of the events, individual or series, with a right-click on the event. The right click menu did not include an active Delete option (it was faded out).

I was, however, able to left click on one of the events, select the Edit event details and locations link, and then select Delete. I was asked if I wished to delete the single event or the series. I deleted the series.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:
aebrown wrote:Right-click on the event, then choose Delete This Event Only.
I needed to delete a recurrent event earlier this week. I was not able to delete any of the events, individual or series, with a right-click on the event. The right click menu did not include an active Delete option (it was faded out).

I was, however, able to left click on one of the events, select the Edit event details and locations link, and then select Delete. I was asked if I wished to delete the single event or the series. I deleted the series.
Although that's interesting, I would note that:
  • The post I was responding to specifically said that he was unable to Edit or Delete the event using the normal left-click technique. That's why I recommended the right-click technique.
  • I have used the right-click technique today, and it worked fine. So whatever experience you had with right-click not working must somehow be related to your data or environment.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:So whatever experience you had with right-click not working must somehow be related to your data or environment.
Quite possibly, although this is the first time the right click method has not worked for me in quite a while.

Some events showed the right-click Delete option, and others did not. However, one event showed the Delete option one time and the option was faded out on the same event the next time. (I guess I should have tried again to see if the option was toggling.)

I think it has to do with the way the page loads from the server, which is inconsistent. If that has to do with my environment, then so be it.

It has become standard procedure here that when something does not work we either try another method, if there is one, or ask someone else to do the task.

A typical email to the editor group goes: Tried to do X on Y calendar for W event using methods Q and Z and could not. Please assist. If anyone successfully accomplishes the task, they report back with the method they used.
aliciasmoney

Post by aliciasmoney »

while i accidentally created a event on my lds account meant to save it somewhere else . so i try to find a way to edited or delete it and it doesnt say anything on how to do that. so what can i do ?

Return to “Calendar”