Out of Unit Records and LDS Tools

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
joachimvalgren

Out of Unit Records and LDS Tools

Post by joachimvalgren »

We have a large amount of senior missionaries in our branch and we're using them for different callings (quorum, young men, etc.) and I've created out of unit records for some of them. The elder in the quorum (1st counselor) is one of them, and he would like to be able to use LDS tools to access information about the branch but this isn't working. Any ideas how to get this working?
Another thing is that their information isn't complete, things like their priesthood office isn't with us here so I've had to make him an elder just to put him in the quorum. Is this normal?

Thanks!
eblood66

Re: Out of Unit Records and LDS Tools

Post by eblood66 »

joachimvalgren wrote:We have a large amount of senior missionaries in our branch and we're using them for different callings (quorum, young men, etc.) and I've created out of unit records for some of them. The elder in the quorum (1st counselor) is one of them, and he would like to be able to use LDS tools to access information about the branch but this isn't working. Any ideas how to get this working?
Another thing is that their information isn't complete, things like their priesthood office isn't with us here so I've had to make him an elder just to put him in the quorum. Is this normal?

Thanks!
When you create an out-of-unit record you have to enter all of the information about the person manually. Nothing gets downloaded automatically from CHQ into the out-of-unit record. So, yes, you do have to manually enter their priesthood ordination information in order to assign them to a calling in a priesthood quorum. That is normal.

As far as I know if the person is assigned to a standard calling in the unit then they should be able to access that unit in LDS Tools. Can they access the Directory and Calendar on lds.org? If not, then I'd make sure they are assigned to the correct standard calling and not a custom calling with the same or similar name. Also make sure their membership number is correct in the out-of-unit record. I'm afraid I'm not sure what to do if they can access both the Directory and Calendar on lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

joachimvalgren wrote:Another thing is that their information isn't complete
What about the membership number? If that's not there, then it won't work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brandtf

Post by brandtf »

I'm curious about which positions allow you to see the data in LDS Tools and which do not. Take this scenario I encountered just this week, for example:

A brother was released as a high councilor in our YSA stake and called as a stake Institute instructor, so I logged into MLS, removed him as a high councilor, and added him as an Institute instructor. (I obviously left his out-of-unit membership intact in order to add him as a stake Institute instructor.)

He contacted me a few days later and said he had lost access to the YSA stake data in LDS Tools. Apparently a stake Institute instructor, which is a standard position, cannot access the outside unit data in LDS Tools.

Suggestions, anyone?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I know that Stake Single Adult Advisers who are out-of-unit members can get LDS Tools and LDS.org tools data for both stakes. I would assume that it extended normally to all standard callings. Are you putting him into the calling "Stake Institute Teacher"? "Stake Institute Instructor" does not exist so if it says that then it's not a standard calling...
brandtf

Post by brandtf »

Yeah, it's the Stake Institute Teacher position, and is the standard calling. I think I've figured it out. I created the out-of-unit membership, but failed to give him any rights in MLS. I'll try that tonight and see if that's what I'm lacking.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

brandtf wrote:Yeah, it's the Stake Institute Teacher position, and is the standard calling. I think I've figured it out. I created the out-of-unit membership, but failed to give him any rights in MLS. I'll try that tonight and see if that's what I'm lacking.
Rights in MLS have no effect on the online tools or on the LDS Tools app so that won't help.

Can he see the additional unit in Directory on lds.org? Does he show up in CDOL and in the Directory on lds.org with that calling?
brandtf

Post by brandtf »

Okay, I had found the following and thought it might be the key:

Giving User Rights to the Out of Unit Member
1.First, create an Out of Unit Record.
2.In MLS, go to the panel with the ward name, and click System Options.
3.On the left side of the screen, click Users.
4.Click Add User.
5.Select Member of Unit. Never select “Out of Unit Administrator” for an Out of Unit Member.
6.Click Select, and choose the Out of Unit Member from the list.
7.Fill in the other information as needed, and click the boxes beside the rights you want to give him or her.
8.Click Save.

He shows in CDOL. I'll have to check the directory. I'll have to ask him what he can access on lds.org. From LDS Tools, he can only see his home stake.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

brandtf wrote:Okay, I had found the following and thought it might be the key:

1.First, create an Out of Unit Record.
2.In MLS, go to the panel with the ward name, and click System Options.
3.On the left side of the screen, click Users.
4.Click Add User.
5.Select Member of Unit. Never select “Out of Unit Administrator” for an Out of Unit Member.
6.Click Select, and choose the Out of Unit Member from the list.
7.Fill in the other information as needed, and click the boxes beside the rights you want to give him or her.
8.Click Save.

He shows in CDOL. I'll have to check the directory. I'll have to ask him what he can access on lds.org. From LDS Tools, he can only see his home stake.
What these steps do is give the person access to the local MLS. There is no reason for an Institute teacher to have access to MLS. Doing this will cause an audit exception on your next membership audit and it won't help get them access in LDS Tools or online. So don't do that. If you've already done that then you should remove or inactivate them as an MLS user right away.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

brandtf wrote:Okay, I had found the following and thought it might be the key:

Those instructions are to give user rights to MLS. And as stated previously MLS user rights have nothing to do with rights online. Access rights online is dependent on calling. This is also true for LDS Tools.
brandtf wrote:He shows in CDOL.
The calling position must be a standard (black) position and not a custom (orange) position.
brandtf wrote: From LDS Tools, he can only see his home stake.
Sometimes it is not be obvious how to bring up a second unit on LDS Tools. Make sure he is tapping the down arrow to the right of the word "Directory" (This is for android. It may be different for iOS) to see and select any additional units or stake.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Membership Help”