Can't clear maps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
GrasseDD

Can't clear maps

Post by GrasseDD »

The maps are getting better all the time, and with some very useful features. Unfortunately, my brittle brain sometimes finds it harder to keep up with the changes.
One handy new feature seems to show me exactly where I am and kindly places a marker identifying my location, as well as markers identifying the locations of the meetinghouses around me. That's nice, but I can't figure out how to turn it off. The Layers menu is already cleared of all the checkmarks, and hiding the new left-hand panel doesn't affect the map.
Help out an old dog?
Thanks,
D.G.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Can't clear maps

Post by jdlessley »

GrasseDD wrote:That's nice, but I can't figure out how to turn it off.
What are you trying to turn off? The household location markers cannot be turned off when viewing your ward and stake. That is the primary purpose of Maps when viewing your ward and stake- to display household markers. However, if you do not want to see the location of meeting houses other than the one for your ward then just uncheck Meetinghouses in the Facilities tab of the Maps Layers. There may be other items on the Facilities tab that you may want to uncheck so that only the household location markers are visible. When viewing your ward the one meetinghouse location that cannot be removed is your ward meetinghouse. All others will not be visible when Meetinghouses is unchecked.
GrasseDD wrote:The Layers menu is already cleared of all the checkmarks, and hiding the new left-hand panel doesn't affect the map.
There are two tabs to the Map Layers menu item. The first tab is Facilities and the second is Boundaries. Are you saying that all the items in the Facilities tab are unchecked and other facilities other than your ward meetinghouse are displayed?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

jdlessley wrote:There are two tabs to the Map Layers menu item. The first tab is Facilities and the second is Boundaries. Are you saying that all the items in the Facilities tab are unchecked and other facilities other than your ward meetinghouse are displayed?
Hi, JD--
Thanks for the reply. I've received some additional instruction since my post, and I learned that there is now a second Layers menu on the left-hand panel. What didn't seem intuitive to me was to click on the header line for the meetinghouses listed there. That removed them (although I still don't understand why there are two independent menus for displaying meetinghouses).

The other thing, though, that has me flummoxed is the pulsating orange star that shows up, apparently approximating my current location. There is no layer listed for it, and there is nothing in the Search box. I can hide the left-hand panel, but there is no X to completely close it (hiding it doesn't remove the orange star).
Persistent Pulsating Star.jpg
Screen grab showing my irritant
(280.49 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
This is separate from the crosshair icon that appears when I click on the "Show My Location" button, and isn't affected by it.
I was able, one time, to remove it by dragging it to another location, which converted it into a Search result, and then clear the Search. However, that doesn't work anymore, either--when I clear the Search, the star just goes back to my (approximate) current location.

Ugh--I used to get really excited by the changes, but I can't seem to keep up anymore!

Thanks,
D.G.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Now that I see what you are seeing I can explain.

The orange bullseye with the star is the location you entered in the Search bar. I am guessing you entered your home address.

If you want to view your ward area click the green box that says "View Your Ward and Stake". You can also click the down arrow to the right of the word "Search" on the Search button. There are three options. Click the "My Ward & Stake" option. This will bring up the map of your ward with household location markers in the right pane. The left pane, where you now see the facilities to display menu, will then show the directory for your ward. The orange bullseye with the star will be gone. You will only see the map layer objects you have selected to display.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

Thanks again, JD. (I appreciate your time on this!)
So, is it the case that I have to have one (my ward markers) or the other (the orange bulleye star)? I ask because your directions seemed a rather circuitous method of dismissing the star, but I tried it. And, that seems to be the choice--if I click the green box, I get my ward and markers, and if I clear that (by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the left-hand panel) I get the star back.
Reading over your posts, I should also mention one other thing: my aim was, and still is, to get a clean map. I have never searched for any address on the map, or wanted to see my ward, etc.
One more idea: a while back, I think I recall being asked to allow access to my computer's location--that would explain the marker showing an inexact address. But, is there some setting somewhere I can use to revoke that permission? Perhaps that would clear it up.
Thanks again,
D.G.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

LDS Maps was never intended to be a clean map. It is intended to show information about LDS locations. I am guessing that they did not think it necessary to use LDS Maps as a general mapping program since there are offerings out there that already do that. Google Maps, MapQuest, Yahoo Maps, and Bing Maps are just a few.
GrasseDD wrote:One more idea: a while back, I think I recall being asked to allow access to my computer's location--that would explain the marker showing an inexact address. But, is there some setting somewhere I can use to revoke that permission? Perhaps that would clear it up.
That is not unique to LDS Maps. It is a browser function and is called location-aware browsing. I mostly use Firefox so I am aware of how to turn it off there. Instead of giving those instructions, it may be more beneficial if you read about it. If you are using Firefox they have a page called Location Aware Browsing. On that page they have some frequently asked questions. The fifth one down the page is "How do I undo a permission granted to a site?" I know that will answer your question for Firefox.

I am sure that if you do a search for "location aware browsing [insert your browser name here]" you will get your browser's methodology to remove the location aware browsing for LDS Maps. Once it is removed then so will the automatic bullseye.
JD Lessley
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

maps.lds.org is Google maps with added stuff. If the desire is for a clean map, then go to maps.google.com.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

jdlessley wrote:LDS Maps was never intended to be a clean map. It is intended to show information about LDS locations. I am guessing that they did not think it necessary to use LDS Maps as a general mapping program since there are offerings out there that already do that. Google Maps, MapQuest, Yahoo Maps, and Bing Maps are just a few.
Yeah, that makes sense, and that's what I was afraid of. But, are you saying that, unlike last week, it is now impossible to show a clean map?

Previously, it was always nice to get a screenshot with some boundaries or buildings, and I was hoping to still be able to do that. (For example, we were able to make some gorgeous mission maps for my sons!) It appears that is now impossible without also showing one of these: 1- my ward markers, 2- a search result or, 3- my location.

I guess I was hoping it was just a glitch affecting only me.

D.G.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

GrasseDD wrote:But, are you saying that, unlike last week, it is now impossible to show a clean map?
I am sorry but I added more information to my previous post while you were composing your post. If you go back to my previous post, with the additional information, you will see you can get back to the clean map.
JD Lessley
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

russellhltn wrote:maps.lds.org is Google maps with added stuff. If the desire is for a clean map, then go to maps.google.com.
Good point. And I am speaking hypothetically when I say "clean map". What I mean is, that last week it was possible to see a clean map--that I could then overlay with layers of my choice. Now it appears that at least one of three things must be visible (search result, my ward, my location), and the latter of those (my location) was, as of last week, optional.

D.G.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”