How many sites can receive simultaneously

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
StevenMichaelCollins

How many sites can receive simultaneously

Post by StevenMichaelCollins »

With the solution Salt Lake is using to stream our webcasts, is there any kind of meaningful limit to the number of sites that could receive a stream simultaneously? I.e. Is the load on the streaming servers impacted by the number receiving the stream, or does that have no impact? Hypothetically, could you, say, receive at 200 sites?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How many sites can receive simultaneously

Post by russellhltn »

I don't recall a limit on how many sites, but there are limitations on what it can be used for.

You must also limit your upload to the available bandwidth of the slowest site. The servers will not scale it down for you.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

stevecinhou wrote:Hypothetically, could you, say, receive at 200 sites?
I think that's close to the figure I heard. But Russell is correct. Unlike some streaming services, the UL stream is set at a single fixed rate (user selectable) and won't adjust or slow down for low-bandwidth receiving stations. That's the biggest issue I was faced with during our last stake conference. Besides the high quality feed we wanted to send to our overflow building, our SP also wanted to stream it to some shut-ins as well as senior service missionaries serving in the Africa and Central America areas. Because of this, I had to abandon the church's limited webcasting service and use a different product.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I found the answer in the Webcast FAQS: "The media servers are configured to allow up to 250 receiving locations to view a single event at one time. If you expect more receiving locations for a webcast event, contact the webcast support team at the Global Service Center at least three weeks in advance. "
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”