Editing Phone Numbers

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
zaneclark

Editing Phone Numbers

Post by zaneclark »

When I edit phone numbers in the Directory, how long before these changes will appear in MLS? (I searched dozens of posts on editing phone numbers, but none answered this question.)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Editing Phone Numbers

Post by jdlessley »

After the next send/receive. I have been at the clerk computer, edited records online, and within a minute or two did a send/receive and the edits were there.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

It seems to work without a send/receive. I updated several phone numbers late last night on the Directory. This morning, I did a sync on LDS Tools for my iPhone and the changes were there! Love the age we live in! Now if they will just come up with the ability to update callings from home, I can stay home every Sunday and watch TV! :-)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

zaneclark wrote:It seems to work without a send/receive.
You asked how long it took to update in MLS not in LDS Tools. LDS Tools will update as soon as you do a sync. In MLS a send/receive must be done.

The process for updates online goes directly to CDOL an CMIS. LDS Tools gets data from those two data bases. MLS also sends data to and gets updates from those two databases. So there is no need for MLS to be updated for changes made online to appear in LDS Tools.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mevans

Post by mevans »

zaneclark wrote:(I searched dozens of posts on editing phone numbers, but none answered this question.)
Older posts might also give you an incorrect answer. I believe in the past that there was a nightly batch process to get data between systems, so you may not have been able to get updates to other systems until the next day. Now it's pretty instantaneous.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:I believe in the past that there was a nightly batch process to get data between systems, so you may not have been able to get updates to other systems until the next day. Now it's pretty instantaneous.
It's certainly not instantaneous. I was working with an HPG secretary last night to help him with some MLS home teaching district changes. Since he only had organizational privileges in MLS, I edited an email address on the Directory. I immediately had him do a Send/Receive in MLS (thinking that it should be available right away), but the change did not come down. We then worked through the other HT changes, which took about 10 minutes. We did another S/R, and the email change still didn't come down.

I didn't stick around to keep trying, but at least in this case, the change made in the Directory was not available for updating MLS after 10 minutes. I'm sure the process is much quicker than it used to be, but it's still not instantaneous.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:I was working with an HPG secretary last night to help him with some MLS home teaching district changes. Since he only had organizational privileges in MLS, . . .]
There has long been talk of not allowing those without membership privileges to download membership information. Is it possible this may have been the cause?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:There has long been talk of not allowing those without membership privileges to download membership information. Is it possible this may have been the cause?
No, because on the first S/R, a membership record update came through that showed that the member had updated temple recommend info. That certainly doesn't seem like it would be possible if MLS were denying a user with Organization permissions from seeing any updates.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

aebrown wrote:I didn't stick around to keep trying, but at least in this case, the change made in the Directory was not available for updating MLS after 10 minutes. I'm sure the process is much quicker than it used to be, but it's still not instantaneous.
The process that would have sent the change to MLS normally runs every 15 minutes.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aebrown wrote:
mevans wrote:I believe in the past that there was a nightly batch process to get data between systems, so you may not have been able to get updates to other systems until the next day. Now it's pretty instantaneous.
It's certainly not instantaneous. ...
I didn't stick around to keep trying, but at least in this case, the change made in the Directory was not available for updating MLS after 10 minutes. I'm sure the process is much quicker than it used to be, but it's still not instantaneous.
What is now instantaneous is the display back in the Directory. It used to be that it would take overnight to show the change there, so you could actually get it faster in MLS if you tried :).

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”