Ward directory-incomplete

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
janisn

Ward directory-incomplete

Post by janisn »

When I log in to LDS.org or use LDSTools app, my view of the ward directory is incomplete. I am able to see 32 of the 60+ families in our ward directory. My wife created a brand new LDS.org, and she also has limited or incomplete list. I am living and serving as EQ pres. in El Salvador, so I asked another North American in my ward who did not have the same problem.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Ward directory-incomplete

Post by lajackson »

janisn wrote:When I log in to LDS.org or use LDSTools app, my view of the ward directory is incomplete. I am able to see 32 of the 60+ families in our ward directory. My wife created a brand new LDS.org, and she also has limited or incomplete list. I am living and serving as EQ pres. in El Salvador, so I asked another North American in my ward who did not have the same problem.
If you are in a country that requires members to opt in to the Directory, you will not normally see anyone who has not opted in. I do not know if El Salvador is such a country, but if it is, your other North American member may be a leader who is in a calling authorized to see the complete directory, whereas you would not be able to do so as an elders quorum president.

The other reason a Directory is not completely displayed could have to do with a glitch in the database. In this case, it usually displays up to the problem, then stops. However, I would guess this is not the problem in your case, since someone else has been able to see all the names. If your display did go about halfway through the alphabet and stop, there is probably something on the next membership record that may be causing a display problem.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: This thread was split from the Ward Directory thread in the LDS Account forum and moved to the appropriate forum because the topics are different. Please follow the Code of Conduct and "Do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread."]
janisn wrote:When I log in to LDS.org or use LDSTools app, my view of the ward directory is incomplete. I am able to see 32 of the 60+ families in our ward directory. My wife created a brand new LDS.org, and she also has limited or incomplete list. I am living and serving as EQ pres. in El Salvador, so I asked another North American in my ward who did not have the same problem.
What calling position does this other North American serving in your ward hold? Does he hold any of the following positions: bishop, bishopric counselor, executive secretary, clerk, or any assistant clerk?

I ask because those leader positions I listed can view all household and member information for the entire ward reqardless of the directory household visibility setting. All others are limited to viewing those with "Ward" or "Stake" visibility settings. In many countries outside the U.S. and Canada the default household visibility setting is "Private - leadership only". Therefore only certain leaders can view all households. Everyone else will only see those who have opted-in.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Pillarnw

Post by Pillarnw »

I am currently serving as a Senior Missionary in the Spain Barcelona Mission -assigned to the Gandia Ward, Valencia Stake, Spain. When pulling up the ward list it comes up with only 2 families. Looking at several other wards in the stake it appears the same problem exists but not to the same extreme. I look at the directories from back in my Stake and ward in Oregon and they appear to be correct.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Pillarnw wrote:I am currently serving as a Senior Missionary in the Spain Barcelona Mission -assigned to the Gandia Ward, Valencia Stake, Spain. When pulling up the ward list it comes up with only 2 families. Looking at several other wards in the stake it appears the same problem exists but not to the same extreme. I look at the directories from back in my Stake and ward in Oregon and they appear to be correct.
The explanation for this is almost certainly in an earlier post in this discussion:
lajackson wrote:If you are in a country that requires members to opt in to the Directory, you will not normally see anyone who has not opted in.
Unlike the USA, where the default is that every member of the ward is displayed in the Directory unless they specifically choose not to be displayed, in the European Union, no member will be displayed unless they take specific action to opt in and ask to be displayed in the Directory.

Unless a ward in Spain has publicized this fact to its, and made a concerted effort to encourage members to opt in, it's not surprising that only a handful of members would have opted in.

If you're only seeing two families, then that means that even the full bishopric has not yet chosen to opt in and allow other ward or stake members to see their households. My guess is that they are not aware of the default privacy settings for Spain and how to change them. You can read more about this in the help system under Editing Your Profile. This situation is unlikely to change until the members are informed about the privacy settings and how to change them and why it would be helpful.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”