Creating a "Supprt Group Report" in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
fjseminario

Creating a "Supprt Group Report" in MLS

Post by fjseminario »

We are making an effort to involve all leaders in the activation process of some members, it would be great to print a report, similar to the "Ordinance Summary Report" where it would list all leader and teaches responsible for a specific memner of our ward with their phone number.
Each member of the Bishopric Ward Clerck & Executive Secretary
Each member of the Quorum (Elders) Group (High Priest) Secretary & Teacher
Their Home Teachers
Each Member of the Auxiliary Organization Presidency that the mebmer belongs to, their
secretary and teacher(s) This would Include (Relief Society & Visiting Teachers)
Here is a List of the Leaders that would be included if I were to select myself:

I Am a Male member, High Priest
- Bishopric (Bishop, 1st Counselor, 2nd counselor, Ward Clerk, Executive Secretary
- Priesthood Quorum (High Priest Group Leader, 1st & 2nd Asistant, Secretary, Quorum
Teacher, Home Teachers
- Aux Org Sunday School (President, 1st & 2nd Counselor, Secretary, Adult Class Teacher

For my Wife you would add the Relief Society (President, 1st & 2nd Counselor, Secretary and Teachers to her report
If I had Children 18 Months to 11years of age You would add the Primary (President, 1st & 2nd Counselor, Secretary and Primary Teacher to his report.
If I had Male Youth 12 to 18 years of age you would add the Young Men (President, 1st & 2nd Counselor, Secretary and , Advisor to his report.
if I had Female Youth 12 to 18 years of age you would add the Young Women (President, 1st & 2nd Counselor, Secretary and Advisorr to his report.
MLS already has all the information available, it would be a matter of selecting the required fields. This would help to know who is responsible for the activity of a specific member, we could remind each leader on the report to Call or visit a member the bishopric has selected to focus on and frienshiping them.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Creating a "Supprt Group Report" in MLS

Post by jdlessley »

I would not expect the report you are requesting to be made a standard report in MLS. If the information you want for your report is not available in any of the standard reports, then create a custom report. Unfortunately a custom report with all the data you would like to have is not available since the criteria available does not include home teaching or visiting teaching data.

You could export the data from some of the standard reports and maybe even from a custom report or two into another application such as a spreadsheet, word processing, or database program and then manipulate it there to arrive at the desired end result.

One data relationship that you want in your report does not exist in MLS. That data is the leader responsibility for a member in regard to the bishopric. You could use the custom fields feature of MLS to assign that oversight responsibility to each member. Then use a custom report to export the data to be combined with other reports such as HT/VT reports
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
fjseminario

Post by fjseminario »

That is exactly what I was hoping for, for it to be a standard report, I thought that the database(s) already contains all the information I included on the report, isn't the HT/VT part of the Database, if it is a separate database can't MLS send a querie to the HT/VT Database the key being the Membership Record Number to get the needed Information to be included in the report? In the case of the Bishopric Ward Clerk Executive Secreatary, we already know that they is responsinle for all the membership, therefore there is no need for a relationship they would be included on all members.
I could create a custom report but I am limited on the formatting of the report, there are more the 1 line per member How can I make 2 or more lines per Member appear on the report in MLS?
You mention that I could export from some of the standard reports and maybe from a custome report, How do you do that? I thought that you could only export File directly from the database such us Family PDA, HeadofHousehold, Members, Organization, Hometeachers, and Visiting Teachers. Would you please explain?
Thanks a lot
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Most of the development effort is in getting MLS functions on-line. I doubt if much development effort is being spent on adding features to MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

FJSeminario wrote:You mention that I could export from some of the standard reports and maybe from a custome report, How do you do that?
It is not really an export function but rather copying the data using the Windows shortcut keys. The data from a report can be copied by clicking anywhere in the displayed data and then press Ctrl+Shift+C to copy. Paste the copied data into the program of choice, such as Excel, for manipulation.
FJSeminario wrote: isn't the HT/VT part of the Database
It is. But that data is not available as criteria for a custom report and therefore not available except in built-in MLS HT and VT reports.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

We are making an effort to involve all leaders in the activation process of some members
Leaders have so much to do already... give this to members of the church, they have VT and HT already assigned. This strikes me as over-complicating or over-managing.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:
FJSeminario wrote: isn't the HT/VT part of the Database
It is. But that data is not available as criteria for a custom report and therefore not available except in built-in MLS HT and VT reports.
HT/VT information is not available as criteria for custom reports, but some HT/VT information can indeed be included in a custom report (the list of fields that can be included is much longer than the list of fields that can be used as criteria).
fjseminario

Post by fjseminario »

We are making an effort to involve all leaders in the activation process of some members
Leaders have so much to do already... give this to members of the church, they have VT and HT already assigned. This strikes me as over-complicating or over-managing.
I believe it would be over-complicting or over-managing if I were as you suggest to Cut and Paste, rather than make the change to the MLS where there would be no effort on the already busy leaders of our ward, and by the way we have considered calling someone to manage this process, We were just following the counsel of our General Authorities, to involve the Ward Council and the less active member would feel that it isn't just one pesron, that our leaders do care enough to make a phone call, or pay a visit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The developers do not work on things "by customer request". New features are developed based on the requirements handed down to them by the Priesthood Department. The next time the General Authorities give counsel in this area, I suggest you discuss the matter with them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
fjseminario

Post by fjseminario »

I would hope that "by customer request" is understood as to be a need and not merely an imposition or a iresponsible request. No need to get so Blunt. I will follow your suggestion and present this request with my Priesthood Authorities, I was not trying to by pass them, I mis understodd the purpose of this forum. Please Ignore this request and consider it close.
Thanks for your time

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”