Ward affiliation through Search function

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
THersom

Ward affiliation through Search function

Post by THersom »

When I find a member of my stake through use of the directory search function, the member's ward affiliation is not indicated. Is this an unsupported feature of the database or am I just not using it properly?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Ward affiliation through Search function

Post by lajackson »

THersom wrote:When I find a member of my stake through use of the directory search function, the member's ward affiliation is not indicated. Is this an unsupported feature of the database or am I just not using it properly?
This feature has been requested many times, but it not (yet?) available. You are doing nothing wrong.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:
THersom wrote:When I find a member of my stake through use of the directory search function, the member's ward affiliation is not indicated. Is this an unsupported feature of the database or am I just not using it properly?
This feature has been requested many times, but it not (yet?) available. You are doing nothing wrong.
Actually, it got implemented and it worked for a little while. I'm not sure when or why it stopped working, but if you look closely at the search results, you'll see "null" under each household displayed in the search results. That "null" should actually be the name of the ward.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:Actually, it got implemented and it worked for a little while. I'm not sure when or why it stopped working, but if you look closely at the search results, you'll see "null" under each household displayed in the search results. That "null" should actually be the name of the ward.
Interesting. I believe you, but apparently I do not have the right browser/operating system combo. (Win8.1/FF26.0)
THersom

Post by THersom »

I did see the "null" return and after your comments took a closer look at the code. <div class="wardNameListItem"><div>null</div></div> It appears there is/was an intent to indicate the ward affiliation. So, how tough would it be to make this feature operative in the online interface since it now returns "null" as a result of the search process?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The question isn't "how hard", the question is when will the developers find time?

It will be fixed in good time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
THersom

Post by THersom »

Thanks for your replies all! I have no doubt it will be fixed in time. It's certainly a desirable feature.
erb8988

Directory

Post by erb8988 »

Is there a way to see the member's ward when I do a search on membership under the Stake Information? For example, as a Stake Clerk I want to figure out what ward a member lives in, so I do a search in the entire Stake. This finds the member, but it doesn't show what ward they are in. Is there a better/easier way to find the ward of a member - without doing a separate search in every ward?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Directory

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: I moved this post into an existing discussion of this issue.]
erb8988 wrote:Is there a way to see the member's ward when I do a search on membership under the Stake Information?
Not presently. Review the earlier posts in this discussion.
erb8988 wrote:For example, as a Stake Clerk I want to figure out what ward a member lives in, so I do a search in the entire Stake. This finds the member, but it doesn't show what ward they are in. Is there a better/easier way to find the ward of a member - without doing a separate search in every ward?
Since you're the stake clerk, you have access to the Leader and Clerk Resources, which have the Member Lookup feature. That will show you the ward for the member.

Another option if you have a mobile device is to use the LDS Tools application. You can search the entire stake for a member and when you tap on the member in the search results, you'll see what ward that member is in.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”