Stake donors

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
drepouille

Stake donors

Post by drepouille »

I just wish that when I add a member of my stake as a donor to the stake MLS, it would stick. When I go back and look at the record I have just created, it is marked as either a member of another unit, or even a non-member donor. Weird.

Maybe it is not possible or appropriate for the stake MLS to have "member" donor records. I don't know.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Stake donors

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: This post was split from this topic, as it deals with a completely different issue. Please follow the Code of Conduct and stay on topic.]
drepouille wrote:I just wish that when I add a member of my stake as a donor to the stake MLS, it would stick. When I go back and look at the record I have just created, it is marked as either a member of another unit, or even a non-member donor. Weird.

Maybe it is not possible or appropriate for the stake MLS to have "member" donor records. I don't know.
It's certainly appropriate for stake MLS to have "member" donor records. It's clearly the way MLS is designed, and it used to work pretty well.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:When I go back and look at the record I have just created, it is marked as either a member of another unit, or even a non-member donor. Weird.
Wouldn't they be considered member of another unit (the ward)? After all, it's not the stake that does tithing settlement.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Sorry guys, I meant to say payees, not donors. We've discussed this issue with the stake MLS in another thread.
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 93#p112593
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

russellhltn wrote:Wouldn't they be considered member of another unit (the ward)? After all, it's not the stake that does tithing settlement.
I recently sent a "Finance" MLS message on this subject and that was the response...members in the stake MLS Payee List are marked as "member of another unit" because CUBS treats them as members of their ward/branch.

OK, so I quit marking them as members of the stake every time a write a check. The problem still remains that the names get changed to Last, First Middle format. Each month when I process the Missionary Housing stipend checks for example, I no longer worry about the "member of another unit" marking, but have to rearrange the name to be the more standard payee format of First MI Last. The confirmation comes back after the send/receive showing the change, but then next month I have to change it again.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Once tied to the member, I think your stuck with whats on the membership record. I wouldn't fight it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Jerry,
Where are you changing the names? Do you edit each payee record, or do you change the names on the fly just before each check is printed? I noticed that when I change payee data on the fly as I print the checks, there is a Save button to commit the changes to the payee record.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

I’ve done it both ways: “on the fly” and opening the Add/Update Payees list from the Finances pane to change multiple entries prior to processing the expenses. Both give me the same dialog box and I click on Save when done changing the name format.

The changed format shows in the Add/Update Payees list and as I mentioned, shows as a change on the confirmation returned to MLS after the Send/Receive. I haven’t taken the time to troubleshoot to determine at what point the name format gets set back to Membership Record Format (Last, First Middle).

Didn’t used to be this way, but can’t pinpoint which MLS update brought about the Membership Record Format. Russell is right, it isn’t worth fighting, but I will continue to change the format because I’m too accustomed to “payroll signature” format on a check.
rickk

Post by rickk »

I somewhat disagree that this "isn't worth fighting". There should be a way for finance clerks that care about what the name on the check looks like to be able to enter the payees and not have some programmer in Salt Lake decide that they know better how the name should be in the system. I have tried changing the payees, to "Not a Member/Misc" and it seems that because they have had the member number tied to the record, CUBS happily undoes the changes every time. I did the missionary housing checks this morning and specifically fixed all the names and marked as Not a Member to see what would happen, and CUBS had already broken them again. I was reading in another post that changing the name format seemed to break the link, but I have not been that lucky. I am considering just starting over and making all new payees that are marked Not Member so CUBS will quit messing with this. What is REALLY dumb about all this is when you first enter a payee in the system and say they are a member, CUBS enters the donor name in the normal FN LN format just like you would expect. Only after you send and receive do you get the broken format. Totally inconsistent and really frustrating.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”