Changing contact information

zaneclark

Changing contact information

Post by zaneclark »

I am trying to help a person who submitted names to the Ancestral File several years ago buy has since moved and needs to change her contact information, Is this possible?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I do not think she can change her contact information on the Ancestral File submission, but if she is able to use new.familysearch, she will be able to establish a login and then "claim" the Ancestral File submission as hers. At new.familysearch, she will be able to update her contact information as needed.

Unfortunately, new.familysearch is not rolled out into very many temple districts as yet. Give it a year and it should work just fine.
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

zaneclark wrote:I am trying to help a person who submitted names to the Ancestral File several years ago buy has since moved and needs to change her contact information, Is this possible?

newFamilySearch should be available in Las Vegas soon, it was announced in November 2007 for Las Vegas so Priesthood Leaders and Family History Workers can get accounts now. As stated in the previous post she can put her new contact information in newFamilySearch and it will be attached to her Ancestral File submissions. She will even be able to claim her submissions and correct them.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

GarysTurn wrote:newFamilySearch should be available in Las Vegas soon,
To members. Non-member access to nFS is still a ways off.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

RussellHltn wrote:To members. Non-member access to nFS is still a ways off.
I have access to NFS as a consultant but the lady I am helping is not a member. Is there any way I could change her contact information with my access to NFS?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:Is there any way I could change her contact information with my access to NFS?
Well, you could try logging in as a helper to see if that works. I think I've read that you can help people who haven't signed up yet. It's worth experimenting.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

You can help someone who is not registered, but since that person is not registered, you are not able to change that person's contact information, as far as I can tell.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

RussellHltn wrote:Well, you could try logging in as a helper to see if that works. I think I've read that you can help people who haven't signed up yet. It's worth experimenting.
I checked the help screens on NFS and the "helper" option is only for members helping members. You have to use the "helpee's" member number in order to help them... Back to the drawing board...:rolleyes:
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Interesting. I do know that you can help a member who has not yet signed up. I am on nFS and have done so. And yes, now that I think about it, I needed the last five digits of the record number to do it.

I also tried to claim Ancestral File submission information for the member, but the match did not work because the member did not get registered by the time they processed the request.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I searched through the help screens on the "old" Family Search and found the following, which is probably as close to a solution to the problem as I can find.

Q:*
How can I update a GEDCOM file that I submitted through Share Your Genealogy and that is now viewable in the Pedigree Resource File?

A:*
To update a GEDCOM file that you submitted to FamilySearch, first make the necessary changes on your own computer in your own genealogy software program. Then resubmit the GEDCOM file to FamilySearch through Share Your Genealogy. The original file plus the new submission will both be preserved and shown.

In the updating, I am assuming that you can add your new contact information. The catch is that you will now have both old and new contact information. I just checked and there is no indication in the contact information on the date they submitted the information.

Return to “FamilySearch Products”