Can't see photos on my ward directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
caroloertle

Can't see photos on my ward directory

Post by caroloertle »

Hi - I have a job in my ward where I'm helping ward members get their info on the ward directory.

I'm in Utah Hobble Creek Stake, 9th ward
I just helped [a member] update her family picture and I can't see it on my computer

[Name]
[Street Address]
[City], Utah [ZIP Code] Show on Map
Stake Visibility
[Phone Number]
[Email address]

She can see her info on her computer. I forwarded an email to the ward clerk and I think he can see it too - GOT ANY IDEAS ABOUT WHAT'S HAPPENING. tHANKS, Carol Oertle

[Moderator Note: The personal information of the member originally shown has been edited out of this post. This is a public forum and such private information normally should not be posted here.]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't see photos on my ward directory

Post by russellhltn »

The photo has to be approved before it can be seen by everyone. Until then, only the member and the bishopric can see it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

russellhltn wrote:The photo has to be approved before it can be seen by everyone. Until then, only the member and the bishopric can see it.
Who can approve photos - just the members of the bishopric, or anyone who's given permission? If it's the latter, how is permission given to a person to approve photos (i.e. by activating a function in lds.org or MLS) and where does he/she approve the photos (i.e. in lds.org, in MLS, some other system)?

I'm wondering because I just volunteered to take lds.org profile pictures of our ward members and this information would be useful. The Bishop asked me to work with the ward clerks to get the photos posted on lds.org, but if I can approve and ultimately post the pictures by myself (assuming my bishop is ok with that), I figured I'd just do that and save our ward clerks some work. It would probably also be easier to do everything myself in this case instead of trying to coordinate with others to get the pictures approved/posted.

On a related note: Some of the lds.org profile pictures of our ward members with callings appear when you click on the Ward Leaders section, but their pictures don't appear when you click on their names in the Households section, and vice-versa. Does anyone know why this happens?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hilohi wrote:Who can approve photos - just the members of the bishopric, or anyone who's given permission?
I think the Ward Website Administrator can do that, but that calling also grants a lot of rights to other on-line tools, so it may not be a practical alternative.

Hilohi wrote:On a related note: Some of the lds.org profile pictures of our ward members with callings appear when you click on the Ward Leaders section, but their pictures don't appear when you click on their names in the Households section, and vice-versa.
I know there are "household" photos and "individual" photos, but I'm not sure if that's it or you're seeing something else.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

russellhltn wrote:I think the Ward Website Administrator can do that, but that calling also grants a lot of rights to other on-line tools, so it may not be a practical alternative.
Thanks for that info. I'll run this by my bishop. Just so that I can explain to my bishop, if he should ask, how does one become a Ward Website Administrator? Is it a calling in MLS or is it done through lds.org?
russellhltn wrote:I know there are "household" photos and "individual" photos, but I'm not sure if that's it or you're seeing something else.
I'm pretty sure the photos on the Ward Leaders section come from the "individual" photos, as the photos in the Ward Leaders section are the same as the "individual" photos found in the Households section. However, for a few members with callings, they have a photo in the Ward Leaders section, but they have neither a "household" photo or a "indivdual" photo associted with their profiles in the Households section.

By the way, thanks for your help. You've helped me a bunch of times in the past, and you've always replied quickly, and your advice has always been spot on. People like you truly make these forums such an invaluable resource!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hilohi wrote:I'm pretty sure the photos on the Ward Leaders section come from the "individual" photos, as the photos in the Ward Leaders section are the same as the "individual" photos found in the Households section. However, for a few members with callings, they have a photo in the Ward Leaders section, but they have neither a "household" photo or a "indivdual" photo associted with their profiles in the Households section.
I don't remember this one, but it might be a case of a unapproved photo appears in the leadership section, but not in the households. It's either that or the system fails to create the size photo used in the household when it was uploaded.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Hilohi wrote:Just so that I can explain to my bishop, if he should ask, how does one become a Ward Website Administrator? Is it a calling in MLS or is it done through lds.org?
Callings are entered in MLS (they can't yet be entered on LDS.org). So if the bishop extends the calling of website administrator to someone, then the clerk needs to use the standard calling of "Website Administrator" in order for the person to have permission to upload photos. And, as RussellHltn mentioned earlier, someone given the calling of Website Administrator will also have many other administrative permissions (in the Calendar, Lesson Schedules, and Newsletter).
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

aebrown wrote:
Hilohi wrote:Just so that I can explain to my bishop, if he should ask, how does one become a Ward Website Administrator? Is it a calling in MLS or is it done through lds.org?
Callings are entered in MLS (they can't yet be entered on LDS.org). So if the bishop extends the calling of website administrator to someone, then the clerk needs to use the standard calling of "Website Administrator" in order for the person to have permission to upload photos. And, as RussellHltn mentioned earlier, someone given the calling of Website Administrator will also have many other administrative permissions (in the Calendar, Lesson Schedules, and Newsletter).
Sorry, probably wasn't clear enough on what I was trying to say.

When I served in my ward's bishopric a few years ago, I recall having the option of giving a member the ability to become a "ward website administrator" via lds.org. It wasn't a calling, but rather the ability to post, edit, approve, etc. things on lds.org. I wasn't sure if it was the same now which is why I asked what the process was of how one can become a website administrator, or at least have the abilities pertaining thereto. Based off of what you said, however, it appears that having website administrator abilities is directly connected to a calling and can no longer be given to any member simply by "flipping a switch" in lds.org. Thanks for your input. I guess I'll just work with our ward clerk to get pictures approved and posted. Ugh, and I was so looking forward to posting pictures on my own schedule from the comforts of my home. :D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hilohi wrote:When I served in my ward's bishopric a few years ago, I recall having the option of giving a member the ability to become a "ward website administrator" via lds.org. It wasn't a calling, but rather the ability to post, edit, approve, etc. things on lds.org.
I think you're talking about the old LUWS. It wasn't just upgraded, it was replaced entirely by the current suite of tools.

Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

There are some members in our ward directory whose pictures appear in the Household section of the directory, but not in the Photos section and/or Ward Leaders section of the directory. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”