Basic device info flyer

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
alandd

Basic device info flyer

Post by alandd »

Our ward has a significant number of people who do not use mobile computing devices. Some are confused about what device to get and either do not get anything or get something that does not do what they expected. For example, one member recently got a Nook e-reader expecting the Gospel Library app to work on it.

I created the attached double-sided, half-page flyer to include as any insert in the paper ward bulletin next Sunday. It provides just the basics of information about e-readers, tablets and smartphones as LDS information devices. The goals of the flyer are to get people started thinking about a device and to start conversations about device use.

Maybe you have a similar situation and can use this flyer too.
Attachments
ReadersAndTabletsGeneralized.pdf
PDF. Two pages, print them back to back one sheet and cut in half for two flyers per sheet
(171.82 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
alandd

Re: Basic device info flyer

Post by alandd »

This a link to the source document for the PDF flyer, in case you'd like to edit it yourself. It is a Pages '09 document file. It would not attache to the forum post.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109 ... ized.pages
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Nice. I've not used a e-Reader myself, but from what I understand, they are fine for sequential reading, but are too slow to keep up with the typical Scripture chase found in Sunday School.

If confirmed, I think that should be mentioned. Otherwise, I'm afraid that members will see "easy on the eyes" and the price tag and then get frustrated in class.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
alandd

Post by alandd »

I can confirm your point about using an e-reader in class. I had thought the statement about apps not working in e-readers would cover that detail. However, people without experience either way would not understand the implications of not having the Gospel Library app with the hyperlinks.

I'll revise the wording to make this concern more clear. Thank you!
alandd

Post by alandd »

Attached is the updated flyer. The wording now about e-readers now includes:
Because these devices lack color and are specialized for reading books, LDS apps and videos do not work on e-readers. They are less suited for use in classes at church.
The Pages document file linked above is now updated to match this PDF.

Thank you for the feedback, russellhltn!
Attachments
ReadersAndTabletsGeneralized.pdf
Updated PDF
(164.97 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
alandd

Post by alandd »

Side question:

When I click on the link to download the PDF I posted in this thread I get a message that says: "The selected attachment does not exist anymore."

Where did it go? Are attachments not allowed in the forums or are they deleted after a certain amount of time?

If so, what is the approved or preferred way to share files like this one?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I suspect a permissions problem with the forum software.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
alandd

Post by alandd »

russellhltn wrote:I suspect a permissions problem with the forum software.
OK. Where do I report the problem?

The download count goes up with every click to the error message.
alandd

Post by alandd »

I found the place to report. It is the "Help with LDS Tech" forum.

Return to “Links & Resources”