Download throttling

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
drepouille

Download throttling

Post by drepouille »

The one branch in my stake is in a rural area. They use a wireless connection between the meetinghouse and a tower in the nearby town. The ISP recently replaced the transceiver unit (for lack of a better name for it) inside the utility room to resolve a recent issue.

The Internet connection seemed to be OK today except for when we tried to download anything larger than about 5 MB. For example, we tried to download recent security updates, such as Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830). The first 5 MB downloaded at over 500 Kb/sec, then the download got progressively slower. After a minute or two, the download speed was down to about 50 Kb/sec, and it kept decreasing.

This happened on several computers, including my laptop, and on several web sites (Microsoft, Sophos, Java, LibreOffice, etc.). I believe the ISP is the most likely cause of the throttling, and we will start asking them tomorrow. I just don't know what else could be causing this problem.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Re: Download throttling

Post by drepouille »

The ISP responded that they never do any throttling. To prove it, they suggested we bypass the firewall and connect a computer directory to their power injector, which is connected to their antenna outside the building. If we can download without any throttling by bypassing the firewall, then it ain't their fault.
Now I will have to call the GSC and ask them if they are the guilty party.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drepouille wrote:The ISP responded that they never do any throttling. To prove it, they suggested we bypass the firewall and connect a computer directory to their power injector, which is connected to their antenna outside the building. If we can download without any throttling by bypassing the firewall, then it ain't their fault.
Was this experiment performed? What were the results?
drepouille wrote:Now I will have to call the GSC and ask them if they are the guilty party.
None of the church issued firewall have ever throttle connections.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

No. I live 90 minutes away from that meetinghouse, and I don't plan to return for a while. I hope someone local can do that test. But I doubt it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not aware of any throttling by firewalls. But then GSC doesn't really tell us about changes they make.

There may be a QOS (quality of service) that prioritizes some traffic over others. If someone is trying to stream a video, then your file download is going to take a backseat.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”