Comprehensive source for FHC policies/procedures?

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
aclawson

Comprehensive source for FHC policies/procedures?

Post by aclawson »

I am aware that the FHCs have their own support line and practices but I need to help one FHC get up to speed. The newer computer has a tag indicating that it was in SLC's Welfare Department in 2005. The older machine is running Windows 98. One of the printers is hooked up with a serial cable, and the new printer is still sitting in the box because it was delivered (nobody can remember when) with a broken tab so it will never detect that the front door is closed and therefore will never work.

As STS where can I get a complete list of policies and procedures to help FHCs? I know I need to re-image the 2005 machine as it is throwing errors left and right - especially with the antivirus - but as it is running XP it is end of OS life anyway, and I don't know if it will even run Windows 7 with any kind of acceptable performance.

Who pays for new equipment, who supplies software and imaging disks, and who handles the printer repairs?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Comprehensive source for FHC policies/procedures?

Post by russellhltn »

The first question I have to ask, is this an authorized FHC, or a Nonauthorized Center? Does it have it's own unit number or not? If it doesn't have a unit number (Nonauthorized by CHQ/doesn't show in CDOL), then it completely up to the stake to support it.

If it's an authorized center, then the following applies:

I suppose one starting point would be Policy and Guidelines for Computers in Family History Centers (2008), but it's rather dated, particularly in the part about donations (do not accept hardware).

A more up-to-date guide would be Family History Center Operations Guide

Assuming this is an authorized center, the only reason the equipment would be that old is that the inventory software is not running (so FHD doesn't know about it), or the director hasn't been filing their monthly reports.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

There is a CDOL unit number.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aclawson wrote:There is a CDOL unit number.
Then it is an official center and the center has not been communicating with the Family History Department.

One consideration is that the FHD determines how many computers a center should have, and this may affect how things work if you have more than the official number of computers in a center.

But I would follow russellhltn's advice to get the computers online and communicating or have the director submit the proper reports to sort things out.

Return to “Family History Centers”