Replacing a Reservation/restriction with a scheduled event

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
1968leocomeeatabite

Replacing a Reservation/restriction with a scheduled event

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

Our Calendar editors within our ward do not understand that we have reservations/restrictions and I really do not want to confuse them with it. Maybe at a later date after they become comfortable with scheduling.

Assuming that a reservation/restriction has properly been done, and a calendar editor has scheduled the event using the times and rooms of which the reservation has been made, will the reservation always continue to show on the week view?

Scenario 1. The editor clicks on the reservation/restriction and then proceeds to schedule the event within the correct times and uses the correct resources.

Scenario 2. The editor is not aware that a reservation/restriction has been made, but goes ahead and schedules and event during the times and rooms of the reservation/restriction.

Scenario 3. The editor is not aware of the function of reservations/restrictions and schedules a portion of the rooms contained in the reservation and successfully schedules an event during the correct time.

Scenario 4. Multiple editors are not aware of the function of reservation/restrictions and schedules events during the correct times and uses all the resources/rooms that the reservations/restrictions have allowed.

In any case, scenario, or canceling of an event does the reservation become replaced, used up, or not visible to the editors or the administrators? Will it always be there? I guess the only reason that it would not show is that the building scheduler removes it?

Also I would welcome any comments on my scenarios as to there validity.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Replacing a Reservation/restriction with a scheduled eve

Post by aebrown »

Nothing about scheduling an event will ever change whether a restrictions remains in place. So in none of your scenarios will the restriction go away -- it will always continue to be visible in Week View.

The only one of your scenarios I don't understand is #1. If someone clicks on a restriction in Week View, they will see the details of the restriction, but there's no way to immediately launch into the process of creating an event. That has to be done separately.

As for the rest of your scenarios, the beauty of restrictions is that the members of the ward that the restriction was created for don't have to be aware of the restriction at all. They can just go ahead and schedule events that use any or all of the rooms specified in the restriction, and they'll never see anything different from if the restrictions hadn't been in place at all.

The only people who will be affected by the restriction are members of other wards who try to schedule the building during the restriction which was created for your ward. They will then see a conflict and be unable to save their new event. That conflict looks quite similar to a conflict caused by an event, and so it's not really that unusual for them, either. But it's a special kind of conflict that members of your ward won't see.
1968leocomeeatabite

Thank you aebrown I always appreciate your responses.
The only one of your scenarios I don't understand is #1. If someone clicks on a restriction in Week View, they will see the details of the restriction, but there's no way to immediately launch into the process of creating an event. That has to be done separately.
My #1 scenario. When in the week view I see a restriction and I click on it and a dialog window comes up, down in the lower left hand corner it has a link "schedule event" I click on that and it takes me into a window where I can schedule an event with the work that the building scheduler has already done listing the times and rooms. So the editor goes ahead and edits the necessary items and schedules the event. Apparently I had assumed wrong that I was or the calendar editor was changing the restriction into an event.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:
My #1 scenario. When in the week view I see a restriction and I click on it and a dialog window comes up, down in the lower left hand corner it has a link "schedule event" I click on that and it takes me into a window where I can schedule an event with the work that the building scheduler has already done listing the times and rooms. So the editor goes ahead and edits the necessary items and schedules the event. Apparently I had assumed wrong that I was or the calendar editor was changing the restriction into an event.
Thanks for the clarification. I was going from memory, and in the past (perhaps distant past), that "Schedule Event" feature was not available when a calendar editor clicked on a restriction (clearly I don't do that very often :) ).

In any case, although that Schedule Event feature may be handy, it is still simply a convenient way for a calendar editor to start off the process of adding an event with some of the fields filled in. There's nothing to stop that editor from changing any or all of the values in those fields and creating a slightly modified or completely different event. In any case, following this process becomes no different from your other scenarios -- the end result is that an event is created and the restriction remains.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

It appears that in this case restrictions are being use when they don't have to be.

If I'm reading between the lines properly it appears that the building scheduler is making a restriction for a specific event, maybe believing they must make a restriction in order to schedule the building, then the calendar editors to add the event.

A review on the proper use of restrictions maybe a good idea. See the help section of the calendar.
1968leocomeeatabite

Great thank you so very much. You guys are greatly appreciated!
1968leocomeeatabite

Gary_Miller wrote:It appears that in this case restrictions are being use when they don't have to be.

If I'm reading between the lines properly it appears that the building scheduler is making a restriction for a specific event, maybe believing they must make a restriction in order to schedule the building, then the calendar editors to add the event.

A review on the proper use of restrictions maybe a good idea. See the help section of the calendar.
Thank you but no I was referring to established year long repeating events of Pack night, combined activity, and Relief Society activity night. Thank you again
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Thank you but no I was referring to established year long repeating events of Pack night, combined activity, and Relief Society activity night. Thank you again
There is still no need for a restriction to be put in place. Each of these repeating events can be placed on the calendar by making a repeating event. Then each event can be edited with the details as they become available.

It is also the best way because then it can sync to individual calendars so that night is set aside each month. Restrictions don't sync.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Thank you but no I was referring to established year long repeating events of Pack night, combined activity, and Relief Society activity night.
That's fine - just be aware that you can't really schedule a restriction for those activities. You can only make the restriction for a ward, not a group or activity.

So if you make a restriction for "Ward A" for the Cultural Hall, for the Relief Society activity night, there's nothing to prevent the EQ from Ward A from scheduling basketball. It will block Ward B from doing that, but it's still wide-open for anyone in Ward A.

So really, by setting a restriction, you're just setting things aside for the excusive use of that Ward, not that group.

So the smart thing is to get Ward A to schedule their events ASAP. They can edit the details later, but they need to get the events on the calendar to block off the rooms for that event and not just for that ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
1968leocomeeatabite

Gary_Miller wrote:There is still no need for a restriction to be put in place. Each of these repeating events can be placed on the calendar by making a repeating event. Then each event can be edited with the details as they become available.
OK I understand that what you are saying is, if the one responsible is on the ball and gets the Calendar done for the year we are in good shape. He can then keep it up and edit each single event and all is well.

But we have people that are not quite getting the vision yet, we want them to get the vision and so we put in the restriction keep encouraging, following up and making them responsible for scheduling the events. I feel that if we hang in there long enough that eventually the leadership will get the vision and then we can make some real progress with the unit leadership and eventually all membership.

In the mean time it is protected for the unit (ward or stake) and it keeps others from getting it scheduled and making a mess of that evening. You might say that well let the other unit schedule it and that will teach them a lesson and that will bring them to action of getting the scheduling done. and that is OK, But I believe that restrictions was put there for a reason and that reason is to accommodate the need of reserving particular rooms on particular nights as the Stake has done for so very many years. Therefore if the right people understand this then the general membership will be kept happy with it working properly. I think we need to be patient and keep encouraging, and educating, the membership will get it if we just don't give up.

Return to “Calendar”