Preferred Budget Line Items

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dguaton74

Preferred Budget Line Items

Post by dguaton74 »

When Adding the new Budget line items for 2014 for each of the organizations (YM, TW, Elders, etc) is it best practice to just rename the line item that is under the organization or create a new one for each year. (Ex. Elders Quorum 2014, YW 2014, YM 2014) or just rename the old one? The old clerk has created new ones for the last 4 years ad now you can't delete them per they have reference to an expense or have a balance? So I am jsut curious as to which is the best way? Also What is the best way to handle incoming fundrasing money for flags that is to be allocated between YW and YM budgets equally? thanks
eblood66

Re: Preferred Budget Line Items

Post by eblood66 »

dguaton74 wrote:When Adding the new Budget line items for 2014 for each of the organizations (YM, TW, Elders, etc) is it best practice to just rename the line item that is under the organization or create a new one for each year. (Ex. Elders Quorum 2014, YW 2014, YM 2014) or just rename the old one? The old clerk has created new ones for the last 4 years ad now you can't delete them per they have reference to an expense or have a balance? So I am jsut curious as to which is the best way? Also What is the best way to handle incoming fundrasing money for flags that is to be allocated between YW and YM budgets equally? thanks
I generally don't change the budgets line items at all from year to year. There shouldn't be any need to. The top level budget categories are fixed and can't be changed. We create sub-categories under certain top-level categories: e.g. Priests, Teachers and Deacons as subcategories under Young Men. I see no reason to include the year in the category name.

Money from fundraising should NEVER be deposited into budget categories. Fundraising is only allowed to cover costs for a single annual camp when budget funds are not sufficient and participants can't pay their own way. Any money from fundraising must be put in a subcategory of the Other::Authorized Member Financed Activities account and then costs for the camp (or a portion of the costs if budget funds will also be used) must be paid from that account. See this document for all the relevant policies that must be followed: https://www.lds.org/callings/melchizede ... y?lang=eng

Return to “Local Unit Finance”