PROBLEM ACCESSING DIRECTORY

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
richardmoulton

PROBLEM ACCESSING DIRECTORY

Post by richardmoulton »

I normally have been able to get into my ward and stakes directories but for the last two or three weeks I have not been able to. After I put in my user name and password then the window comes up where I can select the "directory" and when I select it the circle just spins and spins. I never comes up. It does the same thing for other selections i.e. calander, maps etc. It is the same for both of our computers. We are able to get into other church sites such as "scriptures" We do have high speed internet.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: PROBLEM ACCESSING DIRECTORY

Post by russellhltn »

What type of computer? What browser? I suspect you may have a security setting set too high - such as blocking cookies for lds.org.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

richardmoulton wrote: It is the same for both of our computers. We are able...
You just get the spinner, but you say "we," can other family members get into the directory and calendar with THEIR LDS account on those same computers? In other words, is it a problem with your account only, or with your router/internet/firewall settings? Can you access the directory at a friends house, library or the clerks office, on their computers but with your account, which would suggest your account is OK but your set-up at your house is the problem?
richardmoulton

Post by richardmoulton »

My wife uses a different user name but the same password and can't get in either. I will do as you suggest and try it on a computer at my daughte'rs house when I get the chance.

Thanks
stumpffiddle

Post by stumpffiddle »

I have the same issues with slow or no response for directories and maps in particular on lds.org. Questions about security settings on one's computer miss the issue here--why is it so hard for the average person to get basic data about one's ward and stake from lds.org? Why am I expected to be somewhat proficient at computer systems just to get information that used to be available from a printed directory in the good old days?

Is the church just about the slick image of being up to date with online technology--nice pictures and so for the when you log onto lds.org, but when one actually wants to get something done, it is woefully inadequate, or perhaps should I more accurately say, not nearly robust enough.

This is supposed to be an organization for ALL members, not just the geeks. Can we get a website that works regardless of one's security settings, please? My lds.org comes up in Spanish on Firefox, through no conscious action on my part. This is craziness. What's wrong with the church's information department?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stumpffiddle wrote:\Questions about security settings on one's computer miss the issue here--
The reason we ask questions is to find out why their experience is different from everyone else's. Given the different browsers, configurations, settings, security settings, installed add-ons, malware, etc, it's impossible to code anything that works perfectly on every possible combination.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

stumpffiddle wrote:This is supposed to be an organization for ALL members, not just the geeks. Can we get a website that works regardless of one's security settings, please? My lds.org comes up in Spanish on Firefox, through no conscious action on my part. This is craziness. What's wrong with the church's information department?
We understand the difficulties a world wide church has making technology work for everyone in every country using any computer on any network. It is the purpose of these forums to help solve these problems. But everyone coming to these forums must remember to follow the Code of Conduct. We especially encourage everyone to "Follow the Golden Rule -- Everyone enjoys being treated with respect." When frustrated or emotional we recommend waiting for a clearer head before posting to the forum.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mevans

Post by mevans »

stumpffiddle wrote:This is supposed to be an organization for ALL members, not just the geeks. Can we get a website that works regardless of one's security settings, please? My lds.org comes up in Spanish on Firefox, through no conscious action on my part. This is craziness. What's wrong with the church's information department?
I'm sorry you're experiencing frustrations. It's a big challenge to make things work and the church has limited resources with which to do it, which makes it more challenging. I work in technology and until few years ago, I probably had a similar perception and a low regard for the church's online and other software/IT efforts. Over these last few years, my former attitude has completely changed to one of admiration for what the church has been able to accomplish with technology and I'm trying to use the talents and limited time I have to help. Now I'm logged into lds.org nearly every day. Yes, there are frustrations and they don't necessarily get fixed quickly, but as I look over time, things continue to improve and get better. It's not my goal to lecture you, but to give you some perspective I've developed over the last few years; hopefully it's helpful.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”