Can't post newsletters to ward website

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
teerlinka

Can't post newsletters to ward website

Post by teerlinka »

Can't post newsletters to the ward website.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Can't post newsletters to ward website

Post by aebrown »

teerlinka wrote:Can't post newsletters to the ward website.
Could you please supply some more details? Are you using the Newsletters feature on LDS.org? What happens when you try to save the article -- is there an error message? Are you trying to include an attachment with your article? If so, what format (e.g., PDF) is it in, and what is the file size?
jpmccolm

Post by jpmccolm »

I cannot post an article to our Newsletter either. I tried to post an article with an attachment and received a message that said: "Not Available, This page is unavailable"

I tried to post the article without the attachment and received the same message. Just wondering if the system is down and when it will be working again. I have posted articles before with no problem.

THANKS
mevans

Post by mevans »

I just tried posting a Newsletter article and was able to do it.

I'm assuming the "Not Available" error is on a blank, non-branded page (just black text on a white background, no church logo)?

I believe some others have reported strange things on lds.org recently. Lately, I've seen some strange things, too. Maybe this is something infrastructure related (firewall, load balancer) instead of application related?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:I believe some others have reported strange things on lds.org recently. Lately, I've seen some strange things, too. Maybe this is something infrastructure related (firewall, load balancer) instead of application related?
There are two types of errors. There's the one where the server isn't responsive in a reasonable length of time and some router kicks back some kind a system down message ("Temporarily down for maintenance", IIRC).

Here, I think we're dealing with a hyperactive firewall that's looking at the content. The message is an immediate response. I haven't seen the not "maintenance" message in quite awhile, but there is a sample of this new message I posted on the other thread. That was the one where using the hash sign might trigger it when doing a forum post.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:There are two types of errors. There's the one where the server isn't responsive in a reasonable length of time and some router kicks back some kind a system down message ("Temporarily down for maintenance", IIRC).
The load balancer redirects to http://outofservice.lds.org/ if it detects an issue.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:The load balancer redirects to http://outofservice.lds.org/ if it detects an issue.
What is it that redirects to a plain page with a year in the upper left corner, then moves on to lds.org after a few seconds when this Forum (tech.lds.org) is overloaded?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote:
scgallafent wrote:The load balancer redirects to http://outofservice.lds.org/ if it detects an issue.
What is it that redirects to a plain page with a year in the upper left corner, then moves on to lds.org after a few seconds when this Forum (tech.lds.org) is overloaded?
I've seen it and think it's related to authentication, but I've never heard a definitive answer. I'll have to ask one of the systems guys.

Return to “Newsletter”