DST Mar 9th 2014 Bug

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
KehrerRL

DST Mar 9th 2014 Bug

Post by KehrerRL »

On Sun Mar 9th DST begins in Utah. On this day, and this day only, I am unable to create an event at 7am. When I do so, the calendar moves it immediately to 8am. It will allow me to open the event and select 7am-8am as the mtg time. When I click the Update Event button in the event dialog it takes me back to the calendar, changes the time to 8-9am and creates the event on the calendar in the time slot (1 hr later than designated). It will not allow me to drag the event to the 7-8am time slot.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: DST Mar 9th 2014 Bug

Post by russellhltn »

That's interesting. I'm not in Utah, so I can't duplicate that. I'd expect that kind of behavior for something scheduled at 2 AM, not 7 AM.

The only thing I can think of that's special about 7 AM is that MST is UTC - 7.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

Are you doing this on a laptop in another state? what is the time on your computer when you do this?

I am in utah and I cannot reproduce your problem.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

KehrerRL wrote:On Sun Mar 9th DST begins in Utah. On this day, and this day only, I am unable to create an event at 7am. When I do so, the calendar moves it immediately to 8am. It will allow me to open the event and select 7am-8am as the mtg time. When I click the Update Event button in the event dialog it takes me back to the calendar, changes the time to 8-9am and creates the event on the calendar in the time slot (1 hr later than designated). It will not allow me to drag the event to the 7-8am time slot.
I am in Utah (in the America/Denver time zone), and I tried all sorts of variations on this scenario, and I am unable to reproduce the reported behavior. I tried 6am, 7am, 8am, 7pm; I tried including a location, and using No Location. I tried it in Week View and Month View. I created it on a different day and dragged it onto 9 Mar. Every event I create on 9 Mar 2014 saves exactly the way I specified it.

So I'm having a hard time guessing what might be different about your environment that leads to you seeing a problem that I can't reproduce. I'm using Firefox on Windows7, but I wouldn't think that the browser would make any difference for this issue.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jeffevannelson wrote:Are you doing this on a laptop in another state? what is the time on your computer when you do this?
Isn't the time zone setting more important?

KehrerRL, try going to http://pellepim.bitbucket.org/jstz/ and see what time zone is reported in the gray title bar. Being in the wrong time zone will cause all events to appear at the wrong time for other members.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:So I'm having a hard time guessing what might be different about your environment that leads to you seeing a problem that I can't reproduce. I'm using Firefox on Windows7, but I wouldn't think that the browser would make any difference for this issue.
For kicks and grins, try 2 AM.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:So I'm having a hard time guessing what might be different about your environment that leads to you seeing a problem that I can't reproduce. I'm using Firefox on Windows7, but I wouldn't think that the browser would make any difference for this issue.
For kicks and grins, try 2 AM.
There are interesting behaviors at 2am, but it seems to work somewhat reasonably. When I create an event for 2am-3am, it changes to 1am-3am. Since 2am becomes 3am as the clocks are set forward, there really is no 2am on that day. So 1am-3am is a reasonable interpretation of the user's intent -- it's a 1-hour event that ends at 3am. It's also interesting that when you are in Week View and you try to drag across the 2am-3am time block, both the 1am and 2am blocks are simultaneously highlighted.

But although that's mildly interesting, I don't think people will be scheduling any events for that time of early morning (unless they're trying to schedule an event to mark the beginning of DST, but I think that's much better done as an All-day event). The original post specifically mentioned 7am, which is not a particularly interesting time (the fact that MST is UTC-7:00 would make 7am MST equal to 2pm UTC).
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

russellhltn wrote:
jeffevannelson wrote:Are you doing this on a laptop in another state? what is the time on your computer when you do this?
Isn't the time zone setting more important?

KehrerRL, try going to http://pellepim.bitbucket.org/jstz/ and see what time zone is reported in the gray title bar. Being in the wrong time zone will cause all events to appear at the wrong time for other members.

Well I am just wondering if its showing up at 7-8 on the display because even if he is adding the event at 7-8 am mountain time. If his time zone on his computer showed different then it would display the event happening a hour later.

Return to “Calendar”