2014 Churchwide Events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
perryk

2014 Churchwide Events

Post by perryk »

When will the 2014 Churchwide events be posted on the website calendar?
segbert

Re: 2014 Churchwide Events

Post by segbert »

I'm still not seeing any 2014 events on the calendar. Have they been posted?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I was noticing just yesterday that General Conference hadn't been posted. I know there's pros and cons for the churchwide event calendar since not everyone can view the events in real-time, but we do need to know if they'll be populated or not.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
segbert

Post by segbert »

We removed all churchwide events from our stake calendar assuming that they would show up on the Churchwide calendar. We had duplicate events last year. As a stake executive secretary, I just need to make sure that general conferences, CES firesides, the Christmas Devotional, and other churchwide events are on a calendar, so if someone could let us know whether the Churchwide calendar will be populated, it would be appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I noticed just now that a number of events are on the Churchwide calendar - including General Conference, CED Devotionals, etc.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

Yes they should be added at least the things HQ is ready to release I was pushing this alot on friday so Hopefully this is everything.
NPAlemany

Post by NPAlemany »

Concerning 2014 Churchwide Events - do you suppose the system could be tweaked to allow, if desired, the ability to add information peculiar to the stake? We broadcast to two seperate buildings to accommodate our entire stake and the calendar gets really crowded on those days when churchwide events are posted. It would be more practical if the system would allow for additional information important to the members of the stake could simply be added to the Churchwide event info.
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

HI Nancy
The churchwide calendar is for Things that pertain to the entire church.
For your stake broadcasts Those should be on your stake calendars so your stake leaders would have control over that.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jeffevannelson wrote:The churchwide calendar is for Things that pertain to the entire church.
I think what Nancy is asking for is a way to adjust Church-wide events. At first glance, this would not seem likely.

But in the real world, what is happening is that we do not necessarily broadcast a 6:00 pm MT event at that time. Sometimes we take the delayed feed at 8:00 pm. And in other time zones, it gets even more complicated.

The members locally do not relate to a broadcast event at 6:00 pm MT. This becomes a broadcast event at 7:00 pm CT on our calendars, or either a 5:00 pm or 7:00 pm Pacific Time event on the west coast.

An extreme case is that of another location in the world, where nothing is viewed live because 6:00 pm MT is in the middle of the night.

This is a basic limitation of the Church-wide event calendar that we struggle with. The Church-wide events are nice to have, but rarely relate time-wise to the real world.

I do not have a proposed answer, other than it would be nice to have Church-wide events push to a calendar that the stake could then edit to reflect the details of when and where the event will happen locally.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I do not have a proposed answer, other than it would be nice to have Church-wide events push to a calendar that the stake could then edit to reflect the details of when and where the event will happen locally.
That would be nice - but I'm not sure how practical to do.

I suggest that the churchwide calendar be used as a template to schedule local events and then suggest to members that they not subscribe to churchwide. Or perhaps in the future offer the churchwide calendar as a download that can be imported into the stake calendar and then edited to our hearts content.

To me the biggest reason to have a churchwide calendar is to make sure we all stay up to date with any changes. But if stakes are allowed to adjust it - how would updates work? (I'm thinking about the time October General Conference was pushed back a week because of the Olympics.)

Return to “Calendar”